Monday, June 16, 2014

Outreach Beach Trip (End of May)


My ultimate goal is to have 1 community outing/get together each month for the outreach families…a time to for us all to be together, laugh together, worship together, learn together and just enjoy time together. God’s word is clear that we have been made to be in fellowship with God & with one another. I truly believe one of the most important aspects of the outreach program is the community & the support system that has been formed. Time has flewn by & we have been so busy that since the new year we had not had a get together until the beach trip.

Of course the trip did not go as planned…As nothing does in Haiti…lol… We were suppose to go to a beach on the way to Bonnoue (where we went last year) but due to all the rain the rivers were to high to cross. I thought a beach trip was out… BUT there is no cancelling an event here because there is no way to let everyone know. My thought was to just switch to a fun activities in the chapel day followed by watching a movie & having a picnic lunch BUT Presidue was all about the beach. Even though he had the ChickV virus & was not feeling well at all…he headed out in search of a good/affordable beach for us to go to.

He returned & said he found one that we could go to BUT could only get there by Moto. The morning of the beach trip families started showing up. All the outreach school & therapy kids had been invited (unfortunately due to all the rain some never found out about the trip in time). We had a very good turn out (considering how rainy it had been) of around 45 families. We used 10 Moto’s to taxi back & forth till we got everyone to the beach. Talk about quite the adventure!

I was in the last group to arrive at the beach. When I arrived I was surprised in a few ways… first the beach was enclosed & had no access to water…second there was little sand & mainly rocks…thirdly their was tons of shade & chairs & places for them to lie down & relax (which was a huge plus).

 One thing I really don’t quite understand is going to the beach & not swimming or even having access to the water (but have been to a few Haitian beaches where this is the case)…ANYWAY we had a BLAST regardless. We set up some fun games/activities for the kids including bubbles, ring toss, bean bag/parachute game, blew up some beach balls and in the very front of the area was a little bit of sand so put some sand toys. The kids had fun playing. We also had great Haitian dance music blasting in the background (which was one request last year after the beach trip on how to improve it the following year).

I was then walking around mingling…taking some pictures which quickly turned into EVERYONE wanting to pose & take pictures with their kids…by themselves…posing in different poses…posing with their friends…posing their kids with their friends kids… I think you get the idea…basically a photo shoot that was hard to keep up with. As chaotic as the picture taking was I had to step back & remind myself who this day was for AND it was for these families & if a photo shoot brought them that much Joy & happiness then so be it J

After a few hours of playing & photo shooting we had a picnic lunch together. All the families got peanut butter sandwhiches, cookies, crackers, mango and a drink. For the little guys who could not eat that food we provided Gerber cereal/baby food mix. Everyone LOVED that we had food at the event this year (as this was one of their recommendations from last year).

We then had a time of worship together. We had brought a bongo drum, tambourine & Haitian songbook and the mom’s lead worship. I then shared the “Father’s Love Letter” In Creole with them. Below is the Text…
My Child,

You may not know me, 
but I know everything about you. 

Psalm 139:1
I know when you sit down and when you rise up. 
Psalm 139:2
I am familiar with all your ways. 
Psalm 139:3
Even the very hairs on your head are numbered. 
Matthew 10:29-31
For you were made in my image. 
Genesis 1:27
In me you live and move and have your being.
Acts 17:28
For you are my offspring. 
Acts 17:28
I knew you even before you were conceived. 
Jeremiah 1:4-5
I chose you when I planned creation. 
Ephesians 1:11-12
You were not a mistake, 
for all your days are written in my book. 

Psalm 139:15-16
I determined the exact time of your birth 
and where you would live. 

Acts 17:26
You are fearfully and wonderfully made. 
Psalm 139:14
I knit you together in your mother's womb. 
Psalm 139:13
And brought you forth on the day you were born. 
Psalm 71:6
I have been misrepresented 
by those who don't know me.

John 8:41-44
I am not distant and angry, 
but am the complete expression of love. 

1 John 4:16
And it is my desire to lavish my love on you. 
1 John 3:1
Simply because you are my child 
and I am your Father. 

1 John 3:1
I offer you more than your earthly father ever could. 
Matthew 7:11
For I am the perfect father. 
Matthew 5:48
Every good gift that you receive comes from my hand. 
James 1:17
For I am your provider and I meet all your needs. 
Matthew 6:31-33
My plan for your future has always been filled with hope. 
Jeremiah 29:11
Because I love you with an everlasting love. 
Jeremiah 31:3
My thoughts toward you are countless 
as the sand on the seashore.

Psalms 139:17-18
And I rejoice over you with singing. 
Zephaniah 3:17
I will never stop doing good to you. 
Jeremiah 32:40
For you are my treasured possession. 
Exodus 19:5
I desire to establish you
with all my heart and all my soul. 

Jeremiah 32:41
And I want to show you great and marvelous things. 
Jeremiah 33:3
If you seek me with all your heart, 
you will find me. 

Deuteronomy 4:29
Delight in me and I will give you 
the desires of your heart. 

Psalm 37:4
For it is I who gave you those desires. 
Philippians 2:13
I am able to do more for you 
than you could possibly imagine. 

Ephesians 3:20
For I am your greatest encourager. 
2 Thessalonians 2:16-17
I am also the Father who comforts you 
in all your troubles. 

2 Corinthians 1:3-4
When you are brokenhearted, 
I am close to you. 

Psalm 34:18
As a shepherd carries a lamb, 
I have carried you close to my heart. 

Isaiah 40:11
One day I will wipe away 
every tear from your eyes. 

Revelation 21:3-4
And I'll take away all the pain 
you have suffered on this earth.

Revelation 21:3-4
I am your Father, and I love you 
even as I love my son, Jesus.

John 17:23
For in Jesus, my love for you is revealed. 
John 17:26
He is the exact representation of my being. 
Hebrews 1:3
He came to demonstrate that I am for you, 
not against you. 

Romans 8:31
And to tell you that I am not counting your sins.
2 Corinthians 5:18-19
Jesus died so that you and I could be reconciled. 
2 Corinthians 5:18-19
His death was the ultimate expression 
of my love for you. 

1 John 4:10
I gave up everything I loved
that I might gain your love. 

Romans 8:31-32
If you receive the gift of my son Jesus, 
you receive me. 

1 John 2:23
And nothing will ever separate you 
from my love again.

Romans 8:38-39
Come home and I'll throw the biggest party 
heaven has ever seen.

Luke 15:7
I have always been Father, 
and will always be Father.

Ephesians 3:14-15
My question is…
Will you be my child? 

John 1:12-13
I am waiting for you. 
Luke 15:11-32


Love, Your Dad
Almighty God

OVERALL it was a GREAT DAY…FUN was had by all…Their was lots of LAUGHTER…SMILES…FELLOWSHIP between families….



While Waiting on all the families to get transportation home one of the Miriam Center workers had shown up ( a night staff) and wanted me to come visit her house & meet her family. I snuck away for about 20 minutes. On the way to her home we met the family pictured below. They let me know they had a daughter with a disability (The girl in the red shirt) & wanted to know how I could help. I told them that they could come to the mission & We would talk to them. She appeared like she would be a good fit for the special education school & would not live to far away to participate. Unfortunately they have never come BUT enjoyed the few sweet minutes we had with her & even got her to smile. 


We continued walking a little ways down the beach before we arrived at Madam Dameons home. I got to meet all 5 of her children (one is not in the picture as he was DJ at the beach) and her husband. She was so excited for me to meet them & I always love getting a deeper glimpse into their lives!

What a Tremendously blessed day all around!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment