Tuesday, August 28, 2018

REFLECTIONS OF CONGRESS 2 MONTHS AFTER

REFLECTIONS 2 MONTHS AFTER

What did you learn from the pre-congress Workshops?
I Attended 2 pre-congress workshops which provided me with really good practical information that I have been able to take back and start implementing into my everyday work in Haiti. The first workshop I participated in was the Administration and Interpretation of the Structured Observations of Sensory Integration (SOSI) and Their Application in Contemporary Sensory Related Motor Performance. I have 6 Sensory kids who live at our orphanage as well as 15+ that live in the communities with there families. I knew alot about Sensory Integration but this was the first time I learned about soft neurological signs as well as the SOSI method. These 2 new tools I added to my toolbox can be used to help provide better care and treatment to these children and their families. The second workshop I attended was Creating Meaningful Partnerships with Families. This lecture was packed full of information that will help me with forming better realtionships with the 500 families that we serve through the For Jonathan Sake Outreach Program. The outreach program was founded on the principle that Family Centered Care (FCC) is alwasy better than placing children in an orphanage setting. This workshop gave so much research and information to back this up and then went into detail on ways to move families and caretakers from information providers to partners in their Childs care. It also highlighted the importance of educating the parents and providing them with resources and information but also on the importance of limiting the amount given at any 1 time. The workship provided some very practical ways to do this. It also provided many structured and unstructured culturally sensitive Assessments to help in providing FCC. 


What were your highlights of the WFOT Congress?
  1. The pre-conference workshop Creating Meaningful Partnerships with Families It was packed full of practical information I have been able to take back to my work and help families better. 
  2. Site visit to Southern Suburbs Hippotherapy. I have always wanted to do more in Haiti with bringing animals into therapy. I have seen how much kids can connect with animals. Hippotherpy in my current location is not an option but using animals like goats, dogs, donkey’s is. It really got my mind thinking on ways to work towads adding this aspect. I loved that we got to learn not just about Southen Suburbs Hippotherapy but also Play on Wheels which had 7 of their kids there for treatment the day we visited. This program has a very similar Vision and Mission as my ministry/work in Haiti. This site visit really encouraged me seeing another program with similar vision and goals in a culture where people with disabilities often are not included in community activities and dont often get to participate in school or other activities. It also got me brainstorming and inspired me to get back to planning to take steps forward in getting more creative with therapy and to work on including animals into therapy. 
  3. World Cafe Discussion- I loved this activity/workshop that was held the last day. I really enjoyed mingling with others from around the world and discussing what we had each learned at the congress and what stuck out to each of us. At the end together we shared the themes that emerged like the importance of Global Collaboration and Communication, Cultural Awareness, Revelance and Context, Advocacy and Activism, Decolonization, etc. 
  4. Keynote Speakers- They were all so powerful and shared such relevant information and did such a good job integrating African culture and views into them and at the same time making it relevant to everyone present from around the world. The African context was extra helpful to me as Haiti culture is very similar in many ways to African culture as the people are of African desent. I will share breifly highlight I took from each:
    • 1st keynote speaker- Professor Ramugondo- Her talk was focused around Healing, Decoloniality, and Intersections of both. Her talk was so powerful and addressed a very complex topic that is very important to our profession. She helped us all come to the conclusion and see that OT is well placed to help with decolonization as a healing profession. The idea of decolonization is huge in relation to OT in Haiti. Currently there is only 1 Haitian who is an OT and the other 6 of us are Expats in country. We have to ensure that we don’t colonize Haiti with our views and perspectives and in areas that have been colonized figuer out ways to decolonize. 
    • Marleen- Made the point that are role as OTs is to make sure that the world does not look away from people with disabilities. And one of our main roles is to look at how to bring the interprofessional world together. Our focus should be on quality of life and that every child and every human being should have access. We as OTs should be looking at how we can bring people with disabilities into the society so that the attitudes change and so people with disabilities can have access to education, healthcare, etc. It is also our role to Advocate for our profession and make sure it becomes more visible. Her talk really impacted me as most individuals with disabilities in Haiti do not have access to education and healthcare, the government has few resources in place to help the disabled and quality of life is not often great for those with disability. Her words were motivational in continuing to advocate in Haiti not just in our individual communities and clinics but on a governmental level that will then have a greater impact. 
    • 2nd Keynote Speaker- Pannel Discussion-user Perspectives Panel- Impact of OT- Voices In The Field. This was a powerful discussion showing how OT has impacted individuals in different contexts and situations. It was a reminder of how holistic and broad our profession can and should be. It was very encouraging and a reminder of how unique our profression is. I was reminded to think outside the box, step out of my comfort zone, be creative, and making sure my treatment approach is contextually relevant to the people I am serving. 
    • GAPA- Grandmothers Against Poverty and Aids- I was very touched and inspired by this group. I love that it is a group of grandmothers who have come together to create support groups and a safe place for individuals to share problems, Issues and concerns with each other. It is also a time for them to heal together through singing, dancing, praying, education and doing crafts. This group reminded me of what I am trying to do with the families in my outreach program. Create a community for the parents to find support and community in each other. I was reminded of how many of the caretakers for special needs children and also many non-disabled children are being raise by the grandparents in Haiti. I loved the quote one of the women shared “Don’t be scared of a stigma.”

What did you learn that you will be able to take back to your everyday work in Haiti?
  • How to provide better Family Centered Care and Creating meaningful partnerships with families. 
  • The importance of getting out of our comfort zones in order to provide the best client-centered care.
  • The importance of becoming advocates for our clients and our profession.
  • The importance of looking at context and acknowledging diversity in all situations to ensure contextually relevant and comprehensive practice. 
  • The importance of Decolonization and the important role we as OTs are to play in this. 
  • The imporatnt role we have in advocating for our profession- especially for me in Haiti where OT is still not recognized by the government as a medical profession or a basic right and need for persons with disability. 
  • From one of the sessions I got the idea of holding a educational seminar for the Moto drivers and Tap-Tap (public transportation) in Haiti to educate them on special needs children and how they are not cursed and that transporting them does not bring them bad luck, etc. Doing this will help families have an easier time obtaining help for their children and not feel emotionally drained everytime they go someplace with there child. The power of educating those in the community and slowly changing the view.
  • A better understanding of the RICH Culture and history of Africa and how simliar many aspects are to Haiti culture. 

What did having the chance to take part in WFOT Congress mean to you personally?
It meant more than I can express in words but I will try. It meant making connections and friendships with collegues from around the world and these relationships that will continue to enrich and enhance my practice in Haiti. It gave me a chance to represent Haiti (a country where OT is in the early stages of development) and share the work being done in Haiti with other therapists working in similar cultural and economic situations. It was rejuvinating, empowering, and has boosted my passion in furthering OT in Haiti. I feel called to advocacy not just for the profession as a whole in Haiti but also advocating for each of my clients to receive the best holistic, client-centered care possible. It has made me ponder and think about how to start decolonizing Haiti. Due to Haiti’s descendants coming from Africa and suffering so much oppression from the French, I feel like the information at this specific congress was more relevant than any other to Haiti. I felt like as each speaker especially at the group session spoke that it could have been someone from Haiti sharing. I feel tremendously blessed for the opportunity to attend the congress. To be exposed to such a rich, diverse, and educational experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment