Friday, July 8, 2011

Trip to Bonneau to the new playground

So pretty much so since I arrived in Haiti a month ago I have been itching to go on a field trip with the kids to the new playground…today was a spur of the moment trip that was AWSOME! Since it has rained so much many of the groups were unable to cross the river over to the orphanage at Salines Mayette or go to the Bay. This left 4-5 groups that needed something to do. We decided to take a trip this morning to the playground. I had the wonderful opportunity to break the news to Den-Den in the hall of the Miriam Center. He proceeded to squeal really loud & try to jump up & down :-) which spread to 2 of my workers running over to find out what’s going on…when they found out we were taking the kids to Bonneau they began screaming & running to tell the other children. We got 18 of the kids ready to head out…all the kids got their shoes on, wheelchair were loaded into the bus, extra diapers were packed, plans to get water on the way through the market were made, the kids were loaded onto the bus with American buddies for each child & the 45 minutes off roading bus trip began. I was almost as excited as the kids to go see & play on the new playground. We arrived & it was a fun adventure getting the kids & their wheelchairs down the massive steep hill to the playground…our land in Bonneau is at the bottom of a very steep hill. THEN THE FUN BEGAN…kids were on the swings…other kids were being help up the ramp to get to the big roller sliding board, other kids were going down other slides…HUGE SMILES, Laughter, Joy was all over. I don’t even know how to express this priceless moment in Words…and internet to slow to upload pictures on video…so patience please & I promise pictures & video will come. A few highlight moments were kenderson going down the roller slide with me holding him upside down which he loved and then swinging with kenderson with him flipping himself upside down while I pumped the swing. That kid cracks me up with how sensory seeking he is. I also loved watching Den-Den climb the stairs up to the side & Moise having a blast playing in the dirt…watching Steven throw himself sideways down the roller slide, & the list could go on & on.

1 comment:

  1. My heart OVERFLOWS with JOY! I am so thankful that many kids AND Americans were able to make the trip: Magic happens there! I had tears flowing down my cheeks reading this. It encourages me to know that the playground that was built in my dad's memory brings laughter and joy for so many.

    Were there kids from Bonneau playing there when you arrived?

    Bless you!

    ReplyDelete