First thing Monday morning The Texas team and I headed up to Respire....
Respire is a multi-faceted ministry in Gressier that provides Restive Awareness and education, has a christian school, saturday discipleship program, community outreach, english language program, soccer/sports discipleship program and their Medical Clinic. To read more about this ministry you can go to www.respirehaiti.org. Respire is where the actual health fair was held. The space was the perfect set-up to have such an event. The team worked on setting up the education/fun stations and I helped Ashley set up the therapy area. The stations included
- Hand Washing
- Malnourishment (where took height and weight)
- Food groups education- education on a balanced diet
- Dehydration Station- where they handed out rehydration mix
- Fidget Sensory Station- where the parents got to make a small fidget toy with their kids
- Therapy Ball Handout- at this station each of the kids got a therapy ball and education on how to use it specifically with their kids along with handouts for specialized HEP for their child.
- PT/OT evaluation
- Visit with a nurse and doctor
- De-worming station
- coloring/bubbles a fun station
- Bible Study Station
|Therapists present from Miriam Center, Respire, HHM, Reach Global, Healing Hands, and Medical Teams International.|
On Wednesday I got to see Rebecca again (The sweet girl that 3 weeks prior when I was in PAP I took measurements to have special lift shoes made). It was a God thing that her heart appointment was at HHM the same day I was there! She now has shoes that will help her walk even and help correct/prevent further scoliosis. A huge thank you to the STAND team in PdP who made the lifts and to Julie a PT that was at the follow up days helping who helped fit them!
Personally this trip meant a lot to me. This trip I made some new friends that I know will be friends for a long time….