Saturday, March 2, 2013

Adventures Into Haiti


I left for the Pittsburgh airport this morning at 3:45AM. It was so surreal driving away from home…mixture of emotions so EXCITED to finally be fulfilling the call God had given me back in 2007…SAD to be leaving my family, friends, and animals behind for 9.5 months…TIRED because of lack of sleep with all the preparing…HAPPY…SCARED…FEARFUL...so many unknowns laid ahead.

When we arrived at the airport dad dropped mom and I off with my 3 bags at 70lbs, carry-on 40lbs and backpack 40lbs. He went and parked the car and then came back to help us check in.  1bag was 2lbs overweight & the lady behind the counter told me I would have to pay or remove some items…So I attempted to open my bag except the zipper was stuck…managed to get it open enough to take out some snack food, stapler and a few therapy supplies.  Because my bags were overweight I had to personally take them to TSI to check in. They asked me what was in each. My first thought was…”well, that’s a loaded question” lol.

My parents walked me to security and it was an emotional good-bye. I am so blessed to have such amazing parents who love me and support what God has called me to. I definitely could not do what I am doing without their loving support. I got right through security since I was flying first-class (in order to get my 3bags at 70lbs free).  Out of all the strange things that I had in my carry-ons…I got pulled aside so they could swab my sandals…REALLY…lol

I proceeded to my gate and boarded the plane with no problem.  The plane was a very small aircraft 1 seat on 1 side and 2 seats on the other side. We had to Valet check all rolling carry-ons. The person who took my carry-on asked how many people was in my group…when I said 1…she said are all those bags underneath with that tag yours?!?! Lol… My backpack would not fit in overhead compartment. I had to take both laptops out and cosmetic case and place beside bag in overhead compartment. We boarded at 5:45 and at 6:20 realized we still did not have a pilot on board.  I was in the first seat so could hear EVERYTHING going on. The pilot finally arrived BUT then it came across that the plane was overweight and they had to work on that issue. The pilot told them they could not take any fuel out of the plane bc we needed it all. Eventually when they got the overweight issue taken care of and the door was closed and we were ready to take off (only 30 minutes late). The pilot came over the loud speaker to report that the cockpit was losing air pressure and that they needed maintenance. We sat on the aircraft for 2 hours until they finally deboarded us. At this time I already new I was going to miss my connector flight in Miami. While deboarding found out the guys behind me were headed to Haiti. It was not until they stood up I saw that they had mission t-shirts.  I spent the next hour and an half getting to know the 3 young men. The leader of the group was from City Impact in Pittsburgh and had 2 of his young men with him 1 was a freshman in high school and the other a senior in college.

The Airlines was able to get all 4 of us booked on the 2PM flight out of Miami to PAP. We finally reboarded the plane at 9:45 AM and successfully made it to Miami in time to make our plane to PAP.
I got the rural treatment in first class!! The seats reclined in 3 different ways, own TV (which I didn’t use), a blanket, heated rags to wipe hands, hot mixed nuts, fresh iced tea, meal, fresh baked cookie, etc. BUT by far the best part of first class was the AMAZING Haitian women I met. We had a wonderful conversation about both of our ministries and families. She is what would be considered “higher class” population of Haiti. She lives in PAP. She has worked with the American Embassy but currently works with a program that help children and teens. Her 2 daughters are in college in the United States are full scholarships.  She would like to help me make connections in PAP to expand disability care. I tried to show her pictures of some of my children in the Miriam Center but she said she could not look at them. She told me I must be a strong person to be able to work with them. We had previously discussed the view of disabilities in Haiti as I had learned which she totally agreed with. As we talked I saw some of that view she still had. We also talked about relationships/marriage. We had also differed in views on this. My view is that I am willing to marry anyone who God brings into my life, who has a similar global mission minded ministry heart, a passion for serving the LORD and puts God first, our personality mesh well and we enjoy spending time together. Her view of the right person to marry is someone who is highly educated and in the upper class.  When I told her we had a surgery team that had come in and done tons of surgeries as the mission the week before her response was “what is the point of fixing people sight if they can’t read, write, or perform a trade and what are you doing to meet peoples basic needs, if people don’t have food in their stomachs then they can’t do anything.” I spent a long while answering these 2 questions. It was very interesting to talk to her. She gave me her # and email and said anytime I am in PAP she would love to have me stay with her and treat me like when her daughters. She stated that she loves seeing young people who are pouring into her people.

When we were landing in Haiti, I got so excited to smell the Haiti air, hear the sounds of Haiti, and oh so soon be back at the mission to hold the kids.  Made it through customs with no problems. They have redone the airport since I flew in last time and it is so nice! At baggage claim I had a Haitian who claimed me as the person he was going to help.  He helped us gather up all our bags and get them out to the car where we met Antoine. We all piled into this little SUV like car with ½ our luggage and the 5 of us. We started driving what I thought was to the small airport but realized we had been driving too long to be going to the small airport. My heart began to sink a little as I realized we were heading to the hotel. It was too late to fly Tortuga down to PdP so we would have to stay overnight in PAP.  It was very interesting to drive through PAP as I have not done that before and see the “city life” a little. My statement that I would never drive in Haiti got even more confirmed in PAP ;-)

We arrived to a very nice hotel where we got rooms. The group that I joined up with wanted to play some basketball. It was dark out and the lighting was not good but we attempted or I should say I attempted they all did awesome. You can tell they all grew up playing street ball. It was fun. I left halfway through to shower and try to get online to inform my family and friends I had made it safely to PAP and would be going the rest of the way tomorrow. I ordered some fried plantains and Limeonade for dinner while starting to type this blog and then ate some carrots and beef jerky back in my room I had brought from home. I slept pretty well, woke up to the cars, sirens, roosters, and hustle and bustle early in the morning but rested in bed till 8 when we had to get our bags out.

I spent the morning having quiet time and reading my Bible. At 12:00 our ride to the small airport had arrived. Once at the airport we waited about 2 hours to board our small 20 passenger plane to fly to PdP. While waiting in the airport I had the wonderful opportunity of sharing the Miriam Center with one of the ladies who was headed into build the playground at Salines Mayett and to learn more about her husband and her interest and involvement with the Miriam Center. 

I got naseaus on the small planes which is normal and was so glad when 50 minutes later we landed and I could get off. At this point I said goodbye to my 5 new friends as they were trucking straight to Salines Mayett and I got in a truck and headed to the main campus. When I arrived the kids were so excited calling my name and all waiting for their turn to get hugs and kisses. It was so wonderful to finally hold each of them and love on them. My staff were also excited to see me and gave me BIG hugs. Their first words to me after asking how I was and how my family was....They told me I had gotten fat and smiled, hugged me and rubbed my tummy. They were so HAPPY that I was back and FAT! :-)

Stephanie showed me to my new room (Justin's old one). She was amazing and had cleaned it, washed my sheets and cloths, made my bed and even hung some of the kids artwork up for me!!! The room is the perfect set-up for me. It has tons of shelves, open middle floor to some 1:1 therapy, a BIG desk running across the whole front wall and even 2 screened windows with curtains :-) I feel blessed!!!

Stephanie and Ashley were so excited to show me the new "American" store where you can buy pringles, milk, chocolate, apples, etc. AND it is even decently priced. We walked downtown to find it. It was so nice to walk the streets again. Stephanie treated me to a nice cold gatorade. On the way back she showed me where an ice cream shop went in where you can get real ice cream!!! 

When I got back to the mission I had some good cuddle time with Job before dinner. Ate dinner, had Bible study and then helped pass at nightly meds for the kids.

It has been a busy few days BUT it is oh so wonderful  to be home in Haiti!  

No comments:

Post a Comment