Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Increased Independence And Answers To Prayer


Two weeks ago, I got to watch dreams come true…talk about INCREDIBLY AMAZING moments when we were able to present Mary-Julie and Steven with walkers that would enable them to walk independently. It has been a dream of mine to help find a way for these 2 to walk. They have both been here since 2007 when I started coming, they both are super determined and want to do everything anyone else can do which included walking. I noticed a new sense of urgency and desire to walk after Den-Den started walking 2 years ago. Every time I would walk past them they would try to pull themselves up on me so I could help them go for a walk.

Kimmy’s House had 2 pediatric walkers donated that “Just Happened” to be the perfect size and type of specialized walker these 2 needed!!! Talk about God moving, working, and providing. They were able to carry them both into Haiti with them when they came on their trip.

We gave Mary Julie her walker first. She was grinning ear to ear and could not wait to get in it so she could try it out. We did a bunch of adjustments to find the best fit and then she was off. We quickly realized she needed extra weight added to her walker secondary to her spasticity. I found a guy on one of the short term teams who was willing to let me have a pair of his tube socks. I then filled the socks with rocks and tied/ductaped them to the back of the walker. She can now cruise around independently and is so proud of her walker and her new found independence.





Steven watched Mary Julie get her walker and you could tell he so badly wanted to use it. We asked him if he wanted one…He responded YES! We told him we did not have one this time but we would have one in October. We played it down & had him convinced we didn’t have one (looking back this was kinda mean… :/) BUT it made the surprise that afternoon all the more better!!!! PURE JOY and EXCITEMENT filled his face!!!







I don’t even know how to put into words the EXCITEMENT of these 2 on top of the Joy & Excitement I was feeling for them. About every other day I try to get them out and let them walk around. I have since found ankle braces and shoes for both of them which helps them be even better at walking. I love the fact that they ask me to pull them out and walk with them.




]

No comments:

Post a Comment