Sunday, August 3, 2014

Therapy UPDATE (June/July)

I just want to start out saying how blessed I am to work alongside such an amazing, dedicated, talented, caring, passionate team of individuals. I will start with an update on our current therapy staff & a few visiting therapy staff we have had over the last 2 months.



Nicholson- My therapy Assistant 
Nicholson continues to grow not only in his therapy skills but also his leadership skills. It is hard to believe he started 8 months ago knowing nothing about therapy & never working with a special needs child before. The past few months I have seen him step up multiple times when I was sick & run the therapy clinic well! Unfortunately the past month I have been plagued with a run of bad health again (details for another blog) and many a day I was not fully present or present at all in the therapy room. I am so proud of him. He not only did his therapy schedule but helped supervise Carlos our new Haitian Therapy student... helped with the various American therapist who were visiting...and ran many random errands. I don't know what I would have done without him. Over the past couple months Nicholson has decided that therapy is something he would like to do long-term & would like to go to the rehab tech program that Nahum is currently attending & where Carlos is in school at. I had the opportunity to visit (see details below) and it is a GREAT program. They learn so much in 18 months & come out with the knowledge & skills to not only be a successful therapist in Haiti but make a BIG difference in so many lives. I have been helping him fill out the needed paperwork to apply. The school is very hard to get into. They only accept 16 students & typically have 100+ apply. I am praying that if it is God's will he will get accepted & have the chance to pursue an education as a Rehab Tech. With that said though I will need to raise funds to cover his education (probably around $8,000). Please pray about & consider helping me put Nicholson through therapy school. Below is small quote from a proposal he has written for why he wants to go to school...

"My goal is to get a college degree in therapy so I can help these poor kids who are dying in my country almost everyday. I always tend to make myself believe that I alone can change the world because it gives me great inspiration and courage to continue to fight for what I want to accomplish. One reason why I think therapy is the perfect fit is my surroundings. A lot of men, women, and children here cannot afford to get the proper care they need due to the fact that it cost money to get it. I want to support them in every way possible. Hopefully one day I can open a non-profit organization to provide care for those who cannot afford. As a christian I also know this country needs a spiritual awakening and being a therapist is one of the perfect opportunities to share the gospel with my patients when they come in..." (Nicholson)

Please keep Nicholson in your prayers as he continues to discern God's will for his life and walk in complete obedience to the LORD. 
Please Pray about and consider donating towards helping send Nicholson to school. He is a good therapy assistant & has GREAT potential to just keep learning & growing in skills. Contact me if you would like information on how to donate. 










Jennifer- Visiting PT
Jennifer came to work alongside me for 10 days. She was such a blessing to the ministry not only pouring into me while I was not feeling well but pouring into Nicholson, Carlos & the children. She also brought 6 70lb bags of therapy supplies & supplies for the Miriam Center. Her husband also blessed me with his photography skills taking many of the pictures here (Thank you Wayne) :-)












Molly Height- Occupational Therapist
I was blessed to have Molly back this summer for 2 weeks. She came last summer for 5 weeks as one of the therapy interns. She has a heart for therapy, the children & mostly God! I am very grateful for the time she spent pouring into Nicholson & Carlos while I was sick. Unfortunately I was not able to serve alongside her but so grateful for the time she poured into the ministry.




Nahum- Therapy Student in PAP
Nahum started working at the Miriam center as a translator but fell in love with the kids. He was then hired as my therapy assistant. He fell in love with therapy. Over the years he grew in his skills & leadership until he became Haitian Director of the Miriam Center. In March his dream of going to school for therapy came true. He started the 18 month Rehab Tech Program at Loma Linda University in Haiti. I had the privilege of visiting him while I was in PAP in July & got to see him thrive in his school environment. I even got to see him apply what he has learned to help treat the Miriam Center's nurse who was having shoulder problems. I am so proud of Nahum & all the hard work he is putting into his schooling but more so his heart for God & taking what he learns to help those in need in his country. He has visions & plans to open outreach centers across Haiti to provide therapy to special needs children in need. He is praying hard for God to make clear his vision & plans. Please pray alongside him about this. I am excited for him to come do a 3 week rotation under me in September. We can't wait to have him back for a few weeks (especially the kids...they miss their Nahum!).










Overall...therapy happened Monday-Friday 9:00AM till 5:30PM. The kids continue to get excited when it is there turn to go to therapy. Lots of fun...laughter...and progress is being made by the kids. I am EXCITED TO SEE WHAT GOD HAS IN STORE FOR AUGUST....

No comments:

Post a Comment