Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Things I am Thankful for 4 and 5

#4- FOOD and CLEAN WATER TO DRINK- It is so easy to forget what a gift access to food and clean water is when we live in the United States BUT not so much when you have lived for extended periods of time in a third world country. I have had countless children come up to me rubbing their tummies asking for food…many it had been over a day or 2 since their last meal. I have seen the bloated bellies and yellowish/orange hair… I held severely malnourished children as my heart broke for them. I have had the gutt wrenching job of turning families and children away when there was no food left to hand out…fully knowing how hungry they were and had no where else to get food. I have lost 5 dear friends to cholera in the past year (cholera is caused by unclean water). I have watched people drink brown water, bathe in dirty rivers. I am so incredible thankful for the fact that I can walk to the faucet and get a glass of water to drink…anytime. That I can take a shower and get clean. Thank you God for this privilege and blessing. Lord I pray for all those who don’t have this privilege that you will protect them from illness and disease and provide food for their hungry stomachs.

#5- SHELTER: I am so grateful tonight to have a warm apartment to come home to. There are many days I look around my apartment and feel guilty for the fact that the size of my apartment is the size of 9 houses in Haiti. Each of those 9 houses would average hold 10 people. My apartment has windows, doors, running water, electricity, a toilet, refrigerator, stove and when it rains the water stays out…The people in Haiti have a dirt floors, possibly some chairs, maybe a bed or 2, a few clothes and when it rains they get soaked. The truth be that the ones who have a house (shack) are the lucky few…many people in Haiti don’t have a roof over their head. Many in Pourt-A-Prince are still living in tents since the earthquake. I don’t even have to reflect all the way to Haiti…I look around Vegas and see how many homeless people there are here in America…so many people who are freezing tonight because they have no where to go and no roof over their head. Thank you God for providing me with shelter. Lord please protect all those who are cold tonight and have no where to go. Be with all those who do not have shelter and LORD until they find physical shelter may they find shelter in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment