Monday, April 14, 2014

6 THERAPY UPDATES from the past month...(with LOTS OF PICTURES)!!!!

WOW...Where to even start...so much has happened on the therapy front the last month & a half on the Therapy Front....


1.) Updated the Miriam Home therapy folders for the first time in over a year & figuered out which kids didn't have evals or need re-evals. I had not done any paperwork in over a year because it is just me & I had it in my head. Nicholson (My therapy assistant) has been with me for about 6 months but  I trained him on specific activities to do with each kid & didn't use the therapy folders. Why  update them now?...well May 31st my first Haitian student from the rehab tech program in PAP arrived for his 3 months. He is the start of lots of therapy students or therapists visiting to help or intern over the next 6 months. Which means a need to get my paperwork in order 


  

EXCITED...I am on my last folder update :0)




2.) Spent ALOT of time brainstorming a good schedule for treatment where all the children in the Miriam Center will get seen at least 1x a week for an hour of therapy. Currently Nicholson & Johnson each see 5 kids each per day plus do outreach. My hope is that in a few weeks I will be able to see 5 kids myself as well! 











































3.) The new therapy room is completely finished & functional!!! We are using it on a daily basis now. The next few pictures are of the kids keeping me company & playing/working while I was completing the finishing touches.



5 of my boys hard at work...or play ;-)

Joshua having fun working on sorting bears while strengthening his hands with the tweezers

Carlos working on sorting the colored bears while working on hand strengthening with the tweezers

Steven working on matching uppercase letters while working on pinch strengthening

Mackinely was EXCITED to get to play with the light bright working on FM dexterity skills

4.) Meet Johnson. He is my first Haitian student from the Rehab Tech program that opened up in Pourt Au Prince (PAP) last year. He is doing his second 3 month long rotation under me at the Miriam Center. He has already completed 9 months of in class training by PTs, OTs, and Orthopedic staff from the United States. He just finished his second full week of placement at the Miriam Center. 




Minushe enjoying playing switch adapted toys in the stander & working on head control over the ball


Jimson was a huge fan of the eyedrop swing & He did a great job in the stander


Gildine has decided that she really does enjoy standing, dancing & walking!



5.) Nicholson continues to do an AWSOME job working with the kids. He has been thrown ALOT of change over the last few weeks. Going from working on basic skills with the kids following a very repetitive schedule to being trained to be a therapist. It has been very challenging & a little overwhelming but he is doing GREAT & adjusting well! So thankful for his heart & desire/willingness to learn. You can see from the pictures below how much he enjoys what he does.


Lounide rocking out the stander!


Henry Claude standing for the first time in years!!! What an EXCITING MOMENT!!!!
Then working on weight-bearing through his arms over the therapy ball. He then enjoyed a nice vibration massage!




Bertho enjoying stretching over the textured therapy ball with Nicholson

Lovejinnie just enjoyed a lotion & vibrating brush massage &
is now getting her braces on to get ready to work on some standing



6.) LOTS & LOTS of therapy...SOO Many happy children...PROGRESS being made...

Ti-Stevenson enjoying some time in the swing and working on his stomach muscles on the ball...He was not a fan of sitting!

Kem working on sitting (not a big fan) but she did a GREAT job!!!!!
She then worked on head control while playing fun games on the IPAD






Owens loves spending time in the stander especially when it involves
 getting to play on the IPAD & spend time with Nicholson

Owens had fun playing switch adapted lucky ducks with Kem




Andy sure enjoyed with lotion & vibrating brush massage...especially because it involved BUBBLES!

Jezilla fell asleep during her lotion & vibrating brush massage

Ti-cuban enjoying a lotion massage followed by a nice long walk around campus.

Joshua loves getting to work on standing in the stander while playing fun FM games with Johnson
Steven LOVES practicing his walking any chance he gets



Steven enjoys coming into the therapy room & working on walking in the parallel bars
Joseph has so much fun working with Nicholson completing a color by # &
connect the dots. After he finished he took his papers to go show everyone outside!


Our first attempt at YOGARILLA with Roselore, Mackenly, & Gilbert 


Gilbert working hard on hand strengthening finding light bright pegs hidden in theraputty

Cherlinda LOVES spending time in the stander & it is paying off...
she is starting to pull herself up to standing to dance!

Chamma working on sitting while playing cause-effect games HOH on the IPAD 

John Kerry Thought therapy was just so HILARIOUS (or maybe he is super ticklish...)

Rosalie enjoying some time working on reaching while playing cause-effect games on the IPAD
The Itty Bits continue to rock out their PVC Pipe standers




It is hard to find the words to explain the past month...I have dreamed of having a functional therapy space in Haiti for years (and now I finally have been blessed with one)...I have dreamed of training Haitians to be therapists (and it is finally happening)...I have dreamed of taking Haitian therapy students which would mean their is a program in Haiti (and I have & am supervising my first Haitia...n student and continue to train Nicholson as my assistant)...I have dreamed for years that all the MC kids would get therapy at least 1x a week (and now they will)... Don't get me wrong this month came with many challenges & we have room to grow in many ways...but I can't help but step back today & be thankful for the start of something good & be thankful for the challenges that are here & will come as I learn how to run & make this therapy program sustainable in Haiti. All I pour into this therapy program is worthless if it is not sustainable. Please join me in praying that God would give me wisdom & guidance as I strive to develop a sustainable yet quality therapy program at the Miriam Center.



No comments:

Post a Comment