Monday, March 22, 2010

Tent City

The following are a series of posts written by Jody Castillo a missionary from NWHCM on a tent city that her family has taken in and is trying to support in any whey that they can. I read these blogs and felt convicted to help in anyway that I can. The Money that was collected at my home church New Bedford Presbyterian Church went towards helping this Tent City. I also told her that she could use 500 or so jars of peanut butter that was collected and shipped over for disaster relief. Half of the money that is collected at the women’s retreat will also go directly towards helping them. PLEASE keep this tent city in your prayers and blow is listed the names of the head of each Tent so that you can pray by name for a family. These are real people, with real needs, who need prayer and our help. I have the wonderful privlidge of spending my first day in Haiti May 11th sharing Christ's love and worship with the my brothers and sisters in Christ in this tent city.




“It began in the eyes of a little boy in a red shirt. His smile was bright as he was standing outside of his new tarp home. Before he locked eyes with me – I watched him flying his little kite made of plastic strings. Unaware of what was around him or perhaps inspite of it – his laughter filled my heart where sorrow had started to set up camp.
The little boy in the red shirt led to two other cute kids and then the leader of their small tent zone. He explained that USAID gave a few tarps and that’s it. There’s no food. There’s no water. They live right across from the palace. “Everyone comes to take pictures of the palace – they stand right outside our tarp-homes – but no one sees us though we are in plain sight”. He has 50 families in his tent zone. There is a committee of 3 people who “govern” that zone.



I was impressed number one that they’ve already established some type of government within the tent cities. I was also impressed how he could tell me the story of every family who lived there. What I wasn’t impressed by was the fact that the Red Cross has 50 million dollars and I don’t see those red crosses anywhere but at the airport. The families explained to me how hungry they were – how thieves come into their tents and steal what little they have. The whole reason they have tent zones with committees I’m told – is so that everyone can watch out for everyone else.



The one thing they kept saying over and over again- God protected them.
What? You have nothing.
We have everything right here – all of my family survived – said an old little lady sitting on a bucket outside her tarp home.
The old lady showed me her tarp home. She has a blanket on the ground. “When it rains – it soaks my blanket. But there is nothing I can do. I have no where to go. Everything I own is right here,” she told me. She let me take a picture of her home. I asked her if I could take HER picture. She said when someone stops the hunger in her home – then her photo can be taken.




We prayed for God to lead our hearts today. We prayed for God to give us HIS eyes. The leader’s words – “no one sees us – though we’re in plain sight” – really hit me hard. We prayed with the leader and told him we don’t have a lot – but we will see what we can do to help their zone. Jose goes back and forth to PAP every other week to pick up groups. He can check in with them and make sure the food is being given out correctly. With those 50 families are 145 children. We are using our personal ministry money to help this zone. We don’t have enough to feed them every day but we will do what we can – knowing God will provide as He always does. Why? Because God gave me His eyes and whispered to focus on what is right in front of me – and in that moment – it was little boy in a bright red shirt."

A few days later.... (Written by Jody Castillo)
Yesterday I got a phone call from the leader of our tent city. With a shaky voice he asked me – did I “remember” him? Of course I remember you. I just saw you a few days ago! He sounded relieved. The insecurities that these people must feel – even when they are “seen” they believe they are so easily “forgotten”. He said all our hope is in you. I immediately corrected him and said your hope is in HIM not in me. Anything I do for you – I do ONLY because of Him.
I asked for him to make a list of everyone in his zone. I want to know names/ages/family sizes. This weekend we will begin feeding them. I would really like to get back down to PAP one more time within the next week to really spend some time in that zone so that I can better know their needs first hand. We will have over 240 Americans here within the next 14 days though so it’s going to be hard to break away. At least Jose can make sure the food gets delivered over the weekend. It’s not enough to feed them every day-maybe 3 meals for the week. It’s a start for now."
I started this morning off in Bible Study. I don’t normally get the chance to do that before 8am but I found a moment where I could open His word before the knocks on my office door start. After I was finished reading I decided to listen to some worship music. I have the Daraja Children’s Choir on my ipod. The first song I heard this morning was from their cd. One of their songs starts off with Jeff Foxworthy reading an entry from a journal he kept in his back pocket while visiting Africa. Africa is so much like Haiti and so his journal entry immediately related to my home. I found comfort in hearing his words and wanted to share with you what he says:
The things I saw today should never be seen. They shouldn’t exist. Mountains of unbelievably stinky garbage - who’s ooze mixes with raw sewage – puddle up in mud streets. Atop these mountains are vultures and pigs – and women and children rooting for rotten food. You don’t know whether to vomit or to cry. Surely hell cannot be worse than this. But it is. Because hell includes separation from Jesus and that is not the case here. Amid the squaller, the sickness, the stomachs aching in hunger – there are scattered smiles the likes of which I’ve never seen. There is a joy here because they know a risen Savior. In their smiles you find the courage to help. We share the same God and we cling to the same promise that our trials here are but temporary. There is a glorious day coming. A day on which the disease and hunger and fear will be gone forever. And on that day without doubt – I know that I will wear a smile like theirs as I listen to millions of my brothers and sisters from Africa – sing to the King.

A few days later...
Today I received the names and household sizes of the 50 families in the tent zone by the palace. These families are made up of many varieties. You have some with just one parent and several children. You have some with an older brother taking care of his younger siblings. You have some with no parents but a grandparent or aunt that is watching over several children. I was blown away by some of the sizes of these families because the tarp-homes could maybe fit two people sleeping in them. There is NO WAY that families of 5 or more could even fit in these little homes. I was way off in my number count. I thought we would have about 160 or so people to take care of. It’s 265 people in this small little zone. There’s over 200 children! I didn’t get the ages of all the children which I’m thinking for that – i just need to personally go down and visit to figure out some of this.
One thing I know for sure – these people need your prayers. I’m listing the names and household sizes so that you can pray over them. Not all of them are Christians I’m sure. God has laid on our family this huge burden to reach out to these people. Yet when I think what all is involved in really making a difference – it’s overwhelming. I know I need food – but they don’t even have a way to cook it. I have to think about charcoal stoves. They have no oil to prepare their rice/beans. I have to think about that. They live in tarps – NOT TENTS. We need to start collecting tents. What in the world will they do when it rains? I need to get some vitamins, baby formula, peanut butter, sheets, and clothes out to them. My parents have 2000 jars of peanut butter and 70 bags of rice that I am going to send down on the truck this week. It seems like a lot but I know it’s not even a dent.
I have no time frame of how long we can help or what all we can provide for them. This is the promise I have made to God – whatever you give me Lord- I’ll share it. I will give what I have and when I don’t have it – I simply can’t give it. I have put this burden back on God’s shoulders and told him if you provide it Lord – I will do my part. I’ll be His personal assistant for as long as He puts this task out in front of me.
Just got a phone call from the leader of the tarp-city. It's pouring down rain. There were little children crying in the background. He said everyone is soaking wet. :(“

LEADER: M GUYTEAY PETIT-FRERE
ERSNTS AUGSTIN 5
ANIZA MERISMA 5
JOSETTE DERILUS 5
RESULTA MERISMA 4
SERES SINEA 2
RAYMONDE DENISE 6
CANEUS CLEMENE 6
FORTUNE VAL 6
JEAN VILIA 8
PYRAM CHARO 4
RUTH FREDERIC 10
RONALD JULIEN 8
PIERRE METELUS 7
THEBEAUD JN NOEL 5
GUITO FRERE 5
CARLOS BALTAZAR 6
JULMENE MISCARDIN 4
WIDMAK BOSSILE 6
WIDNY AIMABLE 5
ANNEROSE LIBERIS 6
LOUIS JN ELVE 8
GERTRUDE JULIEN 7
GRED EMMANUEL 4
EDNA SIMLIEN 5
MARLENE BONGOUT 5
LOUIS BERNADETTE 7
DAVIDSON FRANCOIS 5
MONA RENEVIL 6
FOUFOUNE SIMILIEN 7
SOLBANGE FILS-AIME 5
ASMAN JOSEPH 5
NATASHA ROBERT 4
ROLANDE MONFORT 6
THOMAS PIERRE 5
ALFRED RENEVIL 5
RODELINE JULIEN 3
ANOUS ROSILUS 3
SHERLY JOSEPH 2
REGINAL JOSEPH 4
BRONW GUEDRIS 6
STANLEY JULIEN 4
MAXO JEAN 6
PIERRE ANTOINE F 5
KENY JULIEN 3
TONY GUERSAINT 9
JOHNNY DOSSOUS 5
LILINC MONFORT 3
MARVIS JOSEPH 2
RENEZIL LILINE 7
ETIENNE THELAMOUR 6
265

There are so many verses on Helping the poor, the weak, those in need. It is our call as Christians to do what we can help those in need. God has blessed us so that we can be a blessing to others. May God overflow out of us into the lives of those around us!
Deuteronomy 10:18
He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the alien, giving him food and clothing.

Deuteronomy 15:11
There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land.

1 Samuel 2:7-8
The LORD sends poverty and wealth; he humbles and he exalts. He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap; he seats them with princes and has them inherit a throne of honor.

Joshua 1:14-15

... You are to help your brothers until the LORD gives them rest, as he has done for you ....

Psalm 9:9
The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed,
a stronghold in times of trouble.

Psalm 9:18
But the needy will not always be forgotten,
nor the hope of the afflicted ever perish.

Psalm 72:4
He will defend the afflicted among the people and save the children of the needy; he will crush the oppressor.

Psalm 72:12-14

For he will deliver the needy who cry out, the afflicted who have no one to help. He will take pity on the weak and the needy and save the needy from death. He will rescue them from oppression and violence, for precious is their blood in his sight.

Psalm 82:3-4
Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. Rescue the weak and needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.

Psalm 107:9 … for he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things.

Psalm 140:12
I know that the LORD secures justice for the poor and upholds the cause of the needy.

Psalm 146:7-9
He upholds the cause of the oppressed and gives food to the hungry. The LORD sets prisoners free, the LORD gives sight to the blind, the LORD lifts up those who are bowed down, the LORD loves the righteous. The LORD watches over the alien and sustains the fatherless and the widow, but he frustrates the ways of the wicked.

Proverbs 28:27
He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses.

Proverbs 31:8-9
"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy."

Isaiah 41:17-18
"The poor and needy search for water, but there is none; their tongues are parched with thirst. But I the LORD will answer them; I, the God of Israel, will not forsake them. I will make rivers flow on barren heights, and springs within the valleys. I will turn the desert into pools of water, and the parched ground into springs."

Acts 20:35
"In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'"

1 John 3:17-18
If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment