Thursday, September 26, 2013

Boppy Pillows Adventures

The other day one of my outreach mom’s approached me that she needed a new phone. Recently I have been convicted to not just give $ or even to just go buy what my families need for them but to finds ways to have them be apart in working for what they need. With the help of Presidue we came up with the idea of having her work for 4 mornings for me sewing & helping with projects to earn the $ she needed to buy a new phone.

This mother came for 3 days (1 day she stayed 8 hours instead of ) in a row & helped me make 20 new boppy pillows (Actually 40 as each had an inside pillow with a waterproof cover on the outside).  I thought I could just set her up and have her work but I quickly realized that there were portions I would have to complete like sewing on the sewing machine ;-) I wanted to teach her how to use the sewing machine but did not have a translator available and since it was my first time sewing on a sewing machine did not think I was a good one to teach ;-)

This mother helped me accomplish a lot in 16 hours of work. She helped fix boppy pillows we already had by hand sewing the places they had wripped open, she helped me cut out patterns for small, medium and large boppy pillows out of regular & waterproof fabric, to helped cut up old clothing to stuff the pillows with and sew the tops of the pillows shut, and on the last day she helped put snaps on the cloth diapers that still needed snaps.

It was such a blessing to work alongside this mother. She was such a hardworker. I do wish I knew more English and could have talked to her more. I did play Christian creole music while we worked ;-)








No comments:

Post a Comment