Monday, September 30, 2013

Hand Braces

I have been wanting to make Hand Braces for all the children who would benefit from them since I moved to Haiti in February. Hand Braces are huge for the kids as they help prevent skin breakdown in the palms of the kids hands who have spasticity, they promote appropriate position and they prevent further contractures & deformities from forming.  I had been putting it off  for multiple reasons including
1.     I knew it would be challenging for me as it is not my specialty
2.     I knew it would be extra challenging because I would be using old splinting material that does not mold as well
3.     I knew I had a limited amount of supplies & that does not leave room for mess-ups
4.     I knew I would need extra hands to help hold kids still while I molded & let dry
5.     I could only work for a few hours at a time while we had power

iI  I am so thankful for Presidue and the many people from the August summer teams that helped me by carrying kids upstairs for me, helped hold children & entertain them while I worked,  and helped cut Velcro for strapping. 

     All the braces are now made. I have decided that the older kids will wear them in the morning & the little guys will wear them in the afternoon during birdcage time. I have just finished making wearing schedules and plan on training 2 Haitians to donn & doff the braces. As to donn & doff all the kids braces (hands & feet) takes about an hour & half of my day and I want to make it sustainable when I am not here). The older kids Love helping handing out braces and collecting them!!!!

Many of the children here NEED to be stretched daily…they need daily massage…Unfortunately this is not possible 










No comments:

Post a Comment