Thursday, September 26, 2013

Rachel Memorial Video Miriam Center Haiti 2013



The past week has been extremely difficult and one of the BIG reasons is that God took Our Sweet Princess Rachel HOME to HEAVEN to be with Him. I know she is in a better place, she is whole, she is free of pain/suffering, she can breath easily, she walk, run, dance, play...Her body no longer restricts her. I praise God for that.

Rachel was born with Cerebral Palsy, Torticollis, Scoliosis, and a small airway. She had the sweetest spirit & demeanor that just drew others to her. She was full of the Joy of the Lord and had a smile that would light up a room. Her entire life she has struggled with breathing secondary to small airway which caused difficulty with  eating & drinking secondary to aspiration. She was such a fighter & fought through aspiration pneumonia so many times. She never was able to walk or stand but was working on sitting. She loved learning new skills & was such a hardworker. I remember when she first started being able to hold her head up, when she started to be able to lift her head during tummy-time...So many milestones I was blessed to see her meet!!!!

Rachel had just got done fighting a bad round of aspiration pneumonia about a week before she passed aways. She was hospitalized at La Pointe hospital as she required more care than we were able to provide for her at the mission. Verzilla (on of the night moms) stayed with her all 4 days she was at the hospital & took amazing care of her! When Rachel got back to the Miriam Center she was doing great. She was smiling, laughing, eating well, & back to her sweet self. The following picture was taken 2 nights before she passed away.

Teusday Morning I did my normal morning routine lately of checking on Derson in the nurses station & making sure He is alright. I went around and said Bonsure to all the momma's feeding the kids. All the kids were doing well including Rachel who had finished eating breakfast. I then went into the classroom to start  painting. I was trying to finish up the touchup paint to be ready to start laying tile. It was about 10:30AM when Presidue came into the classroom and said "Rachel is sick, we need you." In my mind I thought...oh she must have a fever or must need to be put on the oxygen machine & since Derson is already on there I must need to go see if I can borrow Maternity's...all while I was taking off my painting gloves carefully trying to be able to reuse them as I am running out of rubber gloves for painting. Presidue pops his head back in "NOW" So I go running with him. They already had her in the clinic area on a table surrounded by nurses and the doctors. She was not breathing; her heart was not pumping. The nurses & doctors did everything they could to help Rachel but God had called her home.

Rachel does have a Biological Mother who came to visit on numerous occasions over the years. We contacted her family to inform them of the passing & to see if they would be able to come to funeral. They have moved to PAP & were unable to come to attend but did send extended family to come (2 uncles). The pictures below are Rachel with her mom and brother. Rachel's 2 uncles were able to attend the funeral & burial.

The day after the funeral Rachel's Grandma & uncle showed up & I was able to bless them with about 8-10 pictures of Rachel from over the years. Since I do not speak Creole well I just hugged & held her grandma as she mourned the loss of her grandaughter. Her extended family over the 2 days multiple times thanked me & the miriam center for loving her so much & taking such good care of her. Rachel's 2 uncles were able to attend the funeral & burial. The day after the funeral Rachel's Grandma & uncle showed up & I was able to bless them with about 8-10 pictures of Rachel from over the years. Since I do not speak Creole well I just hugged & held her grandma as she mourned the loss of her grandaughter. Her extended family over the 2 days multiple times thanked me & the miriam center for loving her so much & taking such good care of her. 



So here we are a week later...The longest week of my life. Every time I walk downstairs I just expect to see her in the preschool, in her chair during meal-times, in bed next to Chamma (her best friend)...I expect to see that smile that lights up a room...We are all still greiving. Please continue to cover us in prayers myself, the momma's, and the children for comfort, healing, strength/courage to move on. Pray that we can all cry & grieve with HOPE knowing that we will see her face again! 


Please pray extra hard for Two of the Momma's who were super close to Rachel & had a special bond with her. Over the years she became one of their "favorites" Madam Gilbert and Madam Salidia.




Also please keep Mary-Julia in your prayers as God has gifted her with such a motherly spirit & tender compassionate heart. She has been helping take care of sweet Rachel since she came to the Miriam Center. She loves holding her, rocking her, helping feed her, & playing with her. Please pray that God will help comfort Mary-Julie as she mourns the loss of her sister & dear friend. 




Sweet Princess Rachel...You are have touched countless lives in your short life. You will be forever in our hearts...on our minds...and be our angel watching our for us from heaven. Can't wait to see you again in Heaven my sweet baby girl. I can't wait to hear your voice for the first time, to see you walk, run & dance and to hug and kiss you again!


No comments:

Post a Comment