Monday, June 30, 2014

My New Room/Home

The last 2 months I have been in the processing of moving from my little closet room to what all the missionaries call the tree house. It is called the tree house because their used to be a tree that grew right up through the middle of the house and the ceiling is about 6 feet tall so very short. When I was first offered the move I debated...I weighed the odds and decided if I did a few renovations It would be a good step up especially because it has a bathroom & toilet. 

Below are pictures of the room I moved from.... 




The 2 renovations I wanted to do to the tree house before I moved in was re-paint and tile. So I went tile shopping in PdP (about an hours tap-tap ride from the mission) and picked out brown tile for the floor & beige tile for the counters...




One of my outreach dads (Ralph's dad) repainted my house for me. I really wanted yellow walls but we did not have any yellow paint left from Miriam Center renovations. So I went with orange. As soon as he started painting though I realized the orange was making my room look dark and small. I called Nicholson & luckily he had not picked up the tile yet. I switched & went with brown tile on the counters and beige on the floor. Then I painted 2 wall white and only had 2 orange. Below are the before & after shots of the house. It looks like a different space!!! Especially the shower!













After moving in I have found many pro's and cons to my new space

Pro's to my new house
-Tiled floor- I LOVE LOVE LOVE my tiled floor and how I can sweep it and bleach it and keep it clean and sit on my floor and work on my floor....
- Having my own shower and toilet...wow how nice is that especially when their are groups of 100 people here
- The ability to go to my room and not have people being able to see in on every side, mistaking my room as the girls bathroom
-Great countertops and working space for cooking and the ability to have my freezer in the same room as my stove and food!

Cons
- people walking into my house all the time because downstairs and not upstairs (mainly the Miriam Center kiddos. But now have a lock on my door so its better than it was. We are also working on learning to knock before you enter ;-)
- super loud outside my house because the stairs outside is where the kids from the big orphanage love to congregate at night. Sometimes I can't even make it to my house because 30 kids on my steps.
- Its a heat box...thought there would be more airflow than their is...it just gets pretty hot.

I could go on listing pro's and con's BUT all that matters is I love my new room and it is really feeling like HOME. My mom made me curtains for my birthday and Allyson my intern brought me in a fun shower curtain.


I am feeling very blessed by my new space!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment