Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Therapy Interns The Last 2 Months



WOW… I don’t even know where to start on this blogpost UPDATE… I have been tremendously blessed to have multiple therapy interns and therapy visitors the last 2 months.

Nicholson & Johnson
Nicholson (My Haitian assistant) continues to grow in his skills, love, & passion for the kids. I just love watching him work with the kids, interact with them, & encourage them. All the prayers in finding the right Haitian to be my assistant have been answered. Please continue to lift him up in prayers as he continues to learn daily new things & that he would stay encouraged as many days here are not easy.
 

Johnson just finished his 3 month clinical with me at the Miriam Center June 13th. He was a blessing to the kids & to the Miriam Center. I love the fact that my dream of training Haitians to be therapist is coming true. He grew A LOT in his therapy skills & I grew A LOT as he was my first therapy student I supervise. I do believe he had a positive experience working with the kids & staff at the Miriam Center. I have 1 week off and then receive my next Haitian student.
 

Allyson & Leah
Allyson & Leah for 3 ½ weeks in May to intern under me in the therapy clinic. Allyson spent 2 summers ago interning at the Miriam Center & shadowed me as an OT for her pre-requisite hours to get into OT graduate school. The Miriam Center was so blessed by her internship 2 summers ago we could not wait for her to come back! Allyson is currently entering into her Junior year of graduate school. Leah came down with a Kimmy’s House team in October. She fell in love with the kids & is getting ready to apply for graduate OT school. I was very EXCTED to have both of these gals for 3 ½ weeks & facilitate a hands on educational/learning experience for them.

I believe they had a wonderful few weeks, learned a tons, & I KNOW that they were a HUGE blessing to Me, the kids, and the Miriam Center as a whole. They were both eager everyday to get started, to work hard, to love on the kids, to provide quality therapy, and to help in any way they could. The first week they worked together & saw 5 Miriam Center kiddos for an hour & helped with outreach. The rest of their time they each individually had their own schedule. It was an awesome few weeks seeing 3-4 Miriam Home kiddos receiving therapy each hour…seeing progress being made…have 4 students learning, getting hands on experience and growing in their skills…What a blessed few weeks.

LEAH
 

Allyson

Leah adores Job & Allyson Bertho. It brought me so much joy watching them love on these boys! So the last night we had photo shoot with them with the boys :-)


Edie, Caitlin, Bethany
I was blessed in the middle of June to have a small therapy team that came down with Kimmys House. Edie is an Occupational Therapist who has been working at Cincinnati Children’s for years. She came to the Miriam Center 2 years ago & fell in love with the kids. Her daughter Caitlin who just finished PT grad school & is studying for her boards came with her. Bethany does not have any therapy background but works at a preschool. Edie & Caitlin were a dynamic duo team and 4 days shared a schedule treating Miriam Home kids & providing me with treatment ideas. Bethany spent quality time with many of the kids doing 1:1 education activities & therapy. Once again it was so wonderful to walk in the therapy room and see 4-5 children receiving therapy at 1 time!

 BETHANY
EDIE & CAITLIN

Looking back at the last 2 months I stand in Awe of how far God has brought the therapy program at the Miriam Center. In the last 6 months we have gained a therapy space, I got an assistant, built a partnership with Loma Linda Universities Rehabilitation Technician Training Program in which I am supervising Haitian students, and I have had 3 US therapy students and 1 therapist visit already with many more planned for this summer. WOW! What a blessing!






























No comments:

Post a Comment