Wednesday, June 25, 2014

PVC Pipe Walker...Stander Blessing Handout


After months of designing…planning…measuring…cutting…building…sewing…We finally had the big walker/stander distribution.

 

It all started back in December when I got the idea of making a PVC pipe walker for Rosemeldrine and a few other kiddos.  I had purchased PVC pipe connectors in the states & brought them in with me as I had heard it was hard to find connectors in Haiti (which I later found out was not true which ended up being a blessing). I was blessed by having a team that came in and ended up helping me make a model back in February. The first 2 we made were for Ti-Willy and Gildine. After seeing them in their new walkers I quickly realized that so many of the Miriam Home and outreach kiddos would benefit. I made a PVC Pipe walker/stander library to keep at the Miriam Center so that on the spot we could fit a child and have the correct size for them to use. We can have 4 kids at a time in a stander/walker.

 

We have been using the stander/walkers with the outreach families for the past 3-4 months. They each had a number of the right size walker and during outreach time we would build them a walker/stander so they could practice standing and strengthen their legs. The outreach families got really excited and loved seeing their children standing/weight-bearing through their feet. Soon after I stared getting asked if they could have one at home. I told them that that was my goal and I was working on making them each one for at home. Over the months I got asked A LOT about when. I was excited when I could finally tell them a date.

A LOT of work went into making 35 walkers/standers, seats for on them, sewing 70 boppy pillow covers and cutting up enough old clothes for stuffing for the pillows . I was able to hire 4 outreach mothers to help get each of these pieces done. Ralph’s mom taught Biyonna’s mom how to sew (something she wanted to learn) and together they sewed the walker seats. Ralph’s mom cut and sewed the boppy pillows. Ralph’s mom and Rosemeldrine’s mom put the snaps on the seats and Sydney’s mother cut up all the old clothes to stuff the pillows. Over the months I had many people help cut PVC pipe, glue the walkers together including Nicholson, Johnson, Presidue, interns, mission staff, etc. LOTS and LOTS of time and love went into building a custom walker for each family.

I set up the walker/stander distribution on Saturday June 7th as the Kimmy’s House team would be there to help make the even run smoothly. The day started at 8:00 AM with parents starting to bring their children. I had set up the classroom with mattresses, pillows, lotion, vibrating brushes and a movie. The Kimmy’s House team agreed to do respite care with the kids while I worked with the families upstairs. I was a little nervous at first that the parents would be ok with leaving their kids downstairs but after I explained that everyone there has worked with special needs and I trust them and I know they will take great care of their kids…then they were all good with it.
 

We all headed upstairs, where I had set up the chapel benches in a circle. They all got to choose 2 boppy pillow covers to stuff with old cut up clothes and then sew them shut. It was fun to sit back and watch all these families fellowship together, help each other and get so excited about helping make equipment that would help their children progress in their therapy skills.

 


As they were finishing up the boppy pillows I gave them a choice. They could go down & get their children and bring them up for Bible Study or we could wait until after we finished Bible Study. Unanimously they decided to wait to bring their kids upstairs till after. They were enjoying their time of respite away from their children and knew their children were being well taken care of.

 

Presidue held a quick business meeting to discuss a few important issues that needed to be addressed while so many of the families were together in one spot. We then had a wonderful time of worship together (bongo drums, tambourines and all). I had the following youtube video typed out and translated into Creole as an encouragement to these families. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83h64wYcxWc  Their were 5 of us who took turns readying through the 14 points and the scriptures to back up each. I thought it would be powerful but didn’t realize how thankful the parents would be to each get a laminated copy in Creole with the scriptures typed out so they could go back & reference it for encouragement.
 

They then all headed downstairs to get there children and bring them upstairs to get fitted in their walker & make any adjustments that needed to be made. 26 kids were fitted for their walkers. We put each of the kids AFO’s, knee braces on and placed them into their walkers. Only a few needed adjustments made. We made sure that each family knew the best way to position their child and any child that needed extra support we provided the necessary equipment.

 

We then shared a meal together. The kids had blended spaghetti, crackers, cheese puffs and the parents had Pate and cookies. During lunch I had a chance to sit down for a second and look around. My heart melted as I looked around & saw smiles, laughter, talking, friendships being deepened and HOPE.

 

When we were all done I had asked Kimmys House team if they would be willing to split into groups & help the families carry the walkers or their kids to their home or to the tap-tap station. Over half of the families needed help getting to the tap-tap station so we all went & helped one family down the hill and to the tap-tap which was a huge blessing to these families. We ended up having to wait a good 20 minutes down at the tap-tap station for a tap-tap to have room for everyone. I always gain a  new level of appreciation for these parents the more I get to walk in their shoes…I mean every week they walk to a tap-tap station to come to outreach (who knows how far) then off-road an hour in the back of a truck trying to balance themselves and hold onto their children (who can be awkward to hold as is because of their disability). Then they carry them a good 10 minutes up a big hill to the mission to outreach for 2 hours to turn around and go home repeating the events to get here…WOW!!!

 

After we got all the families who needed transportation on their way we split into groups and walked 6 families to their homes helping carry their walkers and or their children and fellowshipping with them along the way.


This day was definitely in my top favorite days in Haiti and definitely on top for the best birthday thus far for me!!! So thankful for God providing to make this day happen in so many ways. Now a few weeks out from the event I am loving hearing how the families are enjoying their walkers/standers in their homes and also seeing the walkers/standers during homevisits.










































2 comments:

  1. Hi! I have done several medical missions in Haiti and am just now seeing these walkers! How wonderful!! I would love to be able to make some to take with me on my next trip and wondered if there is a specific ratio for the top bar and bottom? Is there a "pattern" that I could purchase? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a young man in the phillipines who needs help with strengthening is legs to walk..any help or prayers to guide me is appreciated❤

    ReplyDelete