Sunday, September 6, 2015

My ADVENTURE to get Stateside…Gods’ FAITHFULNESS/PROVISION

*In red I have inserted the lyrics to some of the songs God spoke to me through along the journey

Well…This trip home definitely makes it into the books of one of the most adventurous and longest trips home. I still have 1 trip that beats it my 2 or 3rd trip to Haiti. My last day in Haiti was packed full of FUN (see FUN FRIDAY blogpost). I also was super busy trying to tackle my to-do-list before leaving and tying up all the lose ends and making sure everything was in place for the next 3 weeks. Sure felt like I was preparing to leave for a LONG time because I had to rat proof my house. I had already put all my clothes into trunks, deflated my couch, and rat proofed all my food (so I thought)….well as I finished up I glanced to one of the shelves and saw that a Rat had eaten through a rubbermaid plastic food storage container to get to popcorn. I quickly realized all my food was not safe and ended up sticking all my food in a barrel till I get back. The rats are going down when I get back to Haiti. I will definitely be bringing stronger poison. Needless to say I finished up my to-do-list with just enough time to get a shower and head to the bus stop for midnight. 
Find You On My Knees
By: Kari Jobe
Travel chasing me again…breaking down my best of friends…I am looking…God I am looking for for you…weary just won’t let me rest and fear filling up my head…I’m longing…God I am longing for you…BUT I will find you in the place I’m in…find you when I am at my end…find you when there is nothing left of me to offer for you except for brokeness…you lift me up…you never leave me thirsty…when I am weak and I am lost and searching…I find you on my knees!


Leaving Haiti I typically take the public Hatian bus that leaves at midnight (well you are to be there at midnight and typically sit for 2 hours while waiting for curfew to lift so buses can move on). I was surprised and blessed that Carlos and Steve were downtown as Steve was getting on a different bus than I was. So we were able to sit and talk to pass the time :-)


The Haitian bus is always an adventure but this time it was even more of an adventure. The bus is a regular school but with bench seats. You are assigned 3 people to 1 seat and so it is a tight squeeze to get 6 people across the 2 seats. Typically the person on the isle seat ends up half on the seat and half off and the 2 people on the ends next to each other lean into each to stay up. The nice thing about squeezing in so tight is you don’t bounce up and down over the bumpy roads! I was blessed in 1 sense to get a window seat so I could look out the window and be completely on the seat. Typically the bus then has to stop in PdP to wait for curfew to be lifted and to allow more people to board the bus. But since the bus broke down on the way to PdP by the time the bus was fixed we only stopped briefly to pick more people up and kept going. I was sad because I always get off to use the bathroom (aka side of the road) here as it is still dark. Unfortunately shortly after PdP the bus broke down again but the positive side is we could get off to use the bathroom. Trying to get off the bus was quite interesting trying to climb over people….lol 

Everything I Need
By: Kutless
when every step is so hard to take and all my hope is fading away…when life is mountain I cannot climb..you carry me…Jesus carry me…you are strength in my weakness and you are the regfuge I seek. You are everything in my time of need. you are everything…you are everything I need. When everything moment is more than I can take and all of my strength is slipping away and every breath is getting harder to breath…you carry me…Jesus carry me…you are strength in my weakness and you are the refugee I seek…you are everything in my time of need you are everything…you are everything I need!

The bus ride that should have taken 6-7 hours at night took 13!(It is typically faster going out over night because there is no one on the roads so they can go faster). Why so long…well the bus broke down a total of 4 times, we had 3 bathroom break stops (only used the 1st 1 because after that it was light out!) and we were detoured all the way to Mirabalae. I learned that the main road was closed secondary to rioting/protesting related to the elections as well as part of the road has been blocked secondary to effects of the recent tropical storm that came through last week. The 13 hour bus ride would not have been as bad except I was smoothed against the wall and their was a little ledge digging into my leg. around hour 9 my leg started hurting really bad but couldn't move it because I was so wedged in. When I finally got off found that my foot was swollen twice the size…turns out I cut off circulation and blood flow to my foot (oops…). Around hour 11 I learned the guy next to me spoke english and lived in Miami. He was in St. Louis visiting his family. Also realized we were both on the 1PM flight out of PAP to Miami. We quickly realized we were not going to make the flight. He was so kind once we finally arrived at bus stop Andrey was not quite there so I was waiting. 

STEADY MY HEART
By: Kari Jobe
I,m not gonna worry…I know that you got me right inside the palm of your hand…
each and every moment whats good and what gets broken happens just the way you plan. 
you are here…your real…I know I can trust you! Even when it hurst…even when its hard,,,even when it all just falls apart. I will run to you because I know that you are keeper of my soul and healer of my scars…you steady my heart! And I will run to you and find refuge in your arms!


He came to check on me before heading to airport and offered for me to ride with him and his dad. I told him I had someone on the way but thank you. I had multiple Haitians who rode the bus with me come and check on me. They were all looking out for me. They probably could tell I was a little overwhelmed by all the PAP Haitian Moto and Taxi drivers who were surrounding me trying to get me to go with them and let them help me…lol When Andrey finally got there it took us a while to get a taxi secondary to all of them trying to rip me off and charge me double because I was a “blanc” we finally got a taxi and headed to the airport. At this point I knew I missed my flight and so began praying that I could get on standby. I did a lot of praying throughout the bus ride as well. I also kept repeating Philippians 4 “Do not be anxious about anything but in everything by prayer and petition present you requests to God and a peace that transcends all understanding will guard your heart and mind.” There were so many times Satan tried to attack me with worry during the bus ride. 1 with not being about to go to the bathroom for 10 hours and could I hold it that long….if I don’t drink I will get dehydrate but it I drink I will need to pee…secondly I was not able to get ahold of andrey at first and he was suppose to be meeting me at the bus stop to help me get to airport from bus station I thought…my head went to what if there was mis-communication…what if no-one contacted him and we all thought someone else contacted him…thirdly I was worried about possibly missing my flight and then what was I going to do if I miss my flight.… where would I stay…how much $ would this all cost…would they change my flight and help me get on a new flight or would I have to pay for a new ticket…I am so thankful for the truth of God’s word and the power and peace that comes from praying it. The other verse that I was leaning on was Joshua 1:9 which says “Do not be afraid the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” It was so comforting to remind myself that God was with me the whole time on this adventure and that he was not going to leave me. That He had already gone before me and was laying out his perfect plan :-)

At the point of the bus ride when I realized I didn’t know if I was going to make my flight the next 2 songs on the shuffle on my phone was “It is well with my soul” and “When I don’t know what do” by Tommy Walker. I realized that maybe God was was preparing for the realization I was not going to make my flights. 


When I Don’t Know What To Do 
By: John Weller
Lord I surrender All…To your strong and faithful hands…In everything I will give thanks to you…I ‘ll just trust your perfect plan. When I don’t know what to do…I’lll lift my hands…when I don’t know what to say I’ll speak your praise…when I don’t know where to go…I’ll run to your throne…when I don’t know what to think…I’ll stand on your word…When I don’t know what to do…Lord I surrender All…though I’ll never understand…all the mystery around me…no but I’ll just trust your perfect plan!


When we finally arrived at the airport Andrey said he would wait outside till I texted him the plan in case he needed to help me find a place to stay the night if AA could not get me on another flight. Their was a pretty long wait inside the airport. When I finally got to talk to someone I got a teller that could not speak very good english. Unfortunately though my creole is getting better I do not know travel terms at all…I was tired and grumpy and kept praying for God to help me to be the face of Jesus and represent him well with my words and actions…He said he could try to get me on stand by. It took him 40 minutes to get me on standby because he had to ask 6 people for help. I was really praying for patience and grace. I was tired, hungry, thirsty, had a headache and just wanted to get to the states and know my options. He came back and said I had 2 options I could try to get on the 5PM flight to Miami on standby but there are a lot of people on standby and it does not look good that I could get on or I could book a flight for the next day and pay at least $200 if not more …I could tell he was advising to book for the next day. I could not justify paying $200 without trying standby. So I took the standby. If I did not get on the flight I would have to come back and re-claim my bag and try to book a flight the next morning (it would be too late to rebook the same day). I chose standby. 

Let Them see you 
JJ Weeks Band
Does the man I am today…say the words you need to say…Let them see you in me…let them hear you when I speak….let them feel you when I sing…let them see you in me. who am I without your grace…another smile…another face…another breath a grain of sand…passing quickly though your hand. I give my life an offering…take is all…take everything…. Let them see you in me…let them hear you when I speak…let them feel you when I sing…let them see you in me. with every breath I breath, I sing a simple melody but I pray they will hear more than words….


As soon as I got through security I grabbed water and made a gatorade. I chugged an entire bottle of gatorade and an entire water bottle in like 10 minutes! I was so thirsty. I then went straight to the restroom to get cleaned up. I was covered in 13 hours worth of dust (the bus windows are down the entire trip). I went through an entire pack of bacterial wipes and they were all so dirty! I luckily thought ahead and had an extra change of clothes in my bag and so was able to put fresh clothes on as well. I then settled in and put a movie on my laptop and ate a cliff bar and some crackers. I looked around and saw so many people waiting and my mind wanted to go back to worrying about not getting on the flight and what I would do…I had to keep intentionally reminding myself not to worry that God had a plan. I am so thankful my Haitian phone had gotten fixed a few days before I started the adventure out. If I did not have a working phone I don’t know what I would have done because I had to be in constant contact with andrey through all of this. I decided I had better starting Planning a Plan C (staying overnight in PAP then hoping to get out the next day) if Plan B (getting out on standby spending night in Miami and then getting a flight to pitt the next day). I contacted a few different friends and possible connections. Thankfully Megan and Courtney offered for me to spend the night at their place and would help me with transportation to and from the internet. I started getting excited about Plan C…getting spend a night with them, catch up on life, and just hang out (oh and to get some sleep!). BUT I was also very thankful that Plan B fell into place and I managed to get on the flight on standby even though I know others were placed on the standby list before me…God made a way. I made some friends in the PAP while I was waiting. I met a canadian couple adopting from one of the orphanages I follow on facebook and had some good conversation. I also met a young lady who was living in a small town doing documentation type work. The flight got delayed by an hour and so poor Andrey was waiting for another hour till 7PM to know if I made it or not.


Here For A Reason
By: Ashes Remain
you are not forgotten…you are not alone…you think your worthless but your worth it…He calls you his own…made in his image…you were made for more…you think their is no plan and it is all by chance BUT don’t believe that anymore…Everytime that you wake up breathing…every night when you close your eyes…everyday that your heart keeps beating their is purpose for you life…so don’t give up…don’t lay down…just hold on…don’t quit now…every breath you take has meaning…your here for a reason…every day is a gift from above…don’t throw it away when it feels like to much he will be there…

When I finally got on the plane I was seated in an exit row. Their were 2 rows worth of seats that were exit (as it was a bigger plane). The stewards asks the first row if they were ok with helping incase of an emergency and the all said no they wanted moved. Which started a conversation in creole with the couple next to me. Turned out they knew english as well so we started talking. I was trying to fix my US phone…I needed a paperclip or something small to pop the latch on the side of my phone to put my US card in. I didn’t have anything and was trying to use a staple off my ticket but it was too small to pop it. Turns out the husband had a special device for just that popping the sim slot. Later in conversation found out they were famous Haitian Musicians and I was able to learn about their travels over the last 26 years to many different countries. It was very interesting. I also got to share my work in Haiti at the Miriam Center. We exchanged information and they gave me a CD for the kids :-)


ALL The Way My Savior
By:Christ Tomlin
All the way my savior leads me…how could I doubt his tender mercy…who through life has been my God…all the way my savior leads me…cheers each winding path I trail…gives me grace for every trial…feeds me with the living bread. You lead me and keep me from falling…you carry me close to your hear and surely your goodness and mercy will follow me. All the way my savior leads me and all the fullness of his love.

Once I was in Miami I was so looking forward to grabbing some food after going through customs. I had to go to customer service to try to book a new ticket to pittsburgh. When I got there the line was so long (2 hours waiting). I saw the only food available outside of entering through security (which I couldn’t because I didn’t have a ticket) was Pizza Hut which I knew I couldn’t do the oil…so decided I could wait 2 more hours to eat and got in line. I spent 2 hours talking to friends on whatzap with friends and also talking to a group of Haitians who also missed their connecting flights secondary to the delay in taking off. It was their first time to America. They sure were on an adventure for their first time!

Strong Enough
By: Matthew West
you must…you must think I’m strong. To give me what I am going through. Well forgive me if I’m wrong but this looks like more than I can do…on my own. I know I’m not strong enough to be everything that I’m suppose to be…I give up…I’m not strong enough…hands of mercy won’t you cover me Lord right now I’m asking you to be strong enough…strong enough for both both of us! Well maybe…maybe that’s the point…to reach the point of giving up…because when I’m finally at rock bottom…well that is when I start looking up and reaching out. I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength…I don’t to be strong enough….strong enough!

Stronger
By: Mandissa
When the waves are taking you under….hold on just a little bit longer…he knows that this is going to make you stronger…the pain it won’t last forever…things can only get better…believe me this is going to make you stronger. try and do the best you can. Hold on and let him hold your hand. Go no and fall into the arms of Jesus. Even when you can’t feel him…I promise you that he is still there and cares…Cause if he started this work in your hear…he’ll be faithful to complete it if only you believe it…He knows how much it hurst and I am sure He is going to help you get through this…

After I got my ticket found out I would be flying out at 8:50AM. At this point it is 11:30 and so doesn’t make sense to get a hotel. I try to go through security so then I could go find food but was told I had to wait till 12:30. I ended up getting pizza hut in the end (as that was my only option…I knew all the oil would make me sick but also knew I needed to take my medications with food). Anyway found a good place to sit by a charger so I could charge my phone and laptop. I enjoyed my pizza while talking to family and friends. Then a random guy came up and asked to use my what zap to contact his family as his phone was dead. So I was able to help him out :-)

I was finally able to go through security at 1:30 as for some reason they kept turning people away at 12:30. When I got through I was going to head straight to my gait and find a place to sleep. Well the train was broken so I have to walk to gate 60 the farthest 1! At that point I was like REALLY! lol. As I was walking I realized I could not sleep in the seat because they had arms rests that could not move. So I curled up on the floor at my gate using my backpack as a pillow. I cannot believe I slept from 2 till 7:30 without moving! I was so tired. Thankfully I woke up feeling pretty good. I grabbed some breakfast and got ready to board. I looked down and noticed I did not have a seat number. I went up to the desk and they had me wait to see if their was room! I didn’t know I was on standby….I wanted to freak out…I noticed cleveland boarding at the next gate…should I go try to get to cleveland…after 15 minutes I finally got a seat. MEZI JEZI!!! 
You Carry Me
By: Moriah Peters
Feel like its been miles and miles. Feels like its an uphill climb sometimes I get weary on the way. but when I look back at where I’ve been…when I look back I’m sure of it. I was right there all along and I can say. Every moment of my life, God you never left my side every valley, every storm you were there you were there. I don’t need to know whats next you’ll be with me every step through it all I can see…you carry me. There are days I wonder if…you can fix the mess I’m in sometimes nothing seems to go the way it should but then I look back on every season and I can find 10,000 reasons to trust that you can work all things for good. every moment of my life God you never left my side. Every valley, every storm you were there. I don't need to know whats next you will be with me every step…through it all I can see…through the wind and rain…through my worst mistakes…through the times I walked alone…you were holding me…you were whispering me…I will never leave you on my own.

In all my journey of being awake and traveling for 55 hours was full of adventures, great conversation, so many blessing! I decided to make a conscious decision to count my blessings throughout my time to keep my eyes fixed upward. As you can see God provided so many good songs to help me keep my Jesus goggles on to see things from His perspective. I wrote this blog to help me remember all the ways God spoke to me throughout this journey. 


We Will Remember
By:Tommy Walker
We will remember the works of you hands…we will stop and give you praise for great is thy faithfulness…your our creator…our life sustainer… deliver…our comfort…our joy throughout the ages…you’ve been our shelter in the midst of the storm… With signs and wonders you shown your power…with precious blood you showed us your grace…you’ve been our helper…our liberator…the giver of life with no end. We will remember the works of your hands…we will stop and give you praise for great is thy faithfulness. When we walk through lives darkest valley’s we will look back at all you have done and we will How great is our God and He is the Faithful one! Hallelujah to the one from whom all blessings come! 




I was so blessed to have so many who prayed with me and for me through the journey. Thank you! It is so wonderful to be home…to enjoy a few luxurious of being home like a warm shower with running water, lots of YUMMY food, and family/friends. My 10 days are jam packed with tons of travel and doctor appointments. Unfortunately not leaving a lot of time to see so many I wish I could and not a lot of time to REST. Praying that God would make the days go slow and give me wisdom on how to best utilize and enjoy the time I do have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment