Saturday, March 9, 2019

EDUCATING and TRAINING NATIONALS






My passion and calling in Haiti is multi-faceted.  One big facet is Training and Educating the locals and nationals in therapy. I truly believe this is the MOST WORTHWILE Investment and a POWERFUL Weapon to change Haiti. Educating Nationals is multiplying the impact I can have on Haiti. If I can see 10 kids a day great. If I can train 10 people to see 10 kids a day now I just impacted 100 kids lives a day.  What does Educating Nationals look like for me? :
  • Providing a hands on, educational practice environment and experience. 
  • Supervising students for their clinical education (for those in school)
  • Providing continuing education in the area of pediatrics (for those in school, out of school, or preparing to go to school)
  • Being a professor and helping teach at therapy schools
  • Helping locals to go to school to be Rehab Technicians, Physical Therapists, and Occupational Therapists.
  • Helping young adults find there passion in therapy

 Over the years I have helped Educate/Train close to 2 dozen nationals. As the years go on this calling has become greater and greater. After lots of prayer in the fall I decided starting February 2019 through May I would do a Pediatric Continuing Education course with my current staff (who I had not had a chance to do my entire pediatric training with) as well as invite 6 locals who were interested in going to school for therapy a chance to get a head start and gain a specialized knowledge. I had hoped to have a few more Rehab Technicians come and specialize in pediatrics as multiple clinics are waiting to hire but out of the 4 I had lined up only 1 ended up coming. It was God’s plan though as 10 people is more than enough at 1 time. I am excited to see what God has in store for the 6 locals who all have a desire to go to school for therapy. Some want to pursue education as Rehab Technicians and others as PT’s or OT’s. I also felt like God not only wanted me to give pediatric foundations of therapy but also to train on teamwork and leadership skills based on the continuing education I did from No Boundaries International and John Maxwell this fall. 

We are 7 weeks into our 4 months and things are going great! Even with me having to leave un-expectantly for a few weeks due to the political unrest I left education plans and everything is continuing thanks to Jenny who is stepping up and leading the education slots. It is challenging to coordinate schedules for 10 people ensuring they are learning/being challenged, the kids at the Miriam Center are getting the therapy they need and that I am allowing enough classroom education time. Currently a typical week looks like the following 
  • Monday- Mornings hands on therapy with Severe/Profound Preschool, Sensory School, and a few pull out students from Regular Special Education Room at the Miriam Center. Outreach from 1-3 PM and then Classroom Education SLOT from 3-5:30
  • Tuesday- Morning is Classroom Education SLOT. Outreach from 1-3PM followed by Treating the older kids
  • Wednesday- The entire day is hands on practice with the Miriam Center and outreach kids
  • Thursday- Morning hands on therapy with Severe/Profound Preschool, Sensory School, and a few pull out students from Regular Special Education Room at the Miriam Center. Outreach from 1-3 PM and then afternoon we have our staff meeting. During the staff meeting we are working our way through the 17 laws of teamwork by John Maxwell and if we have time will do some of his leadership training. We are working our way through The book “Sovereign Goodness of God through Disabilities” by John Piper,  as a christian foundation for our therapy. We also discuss important business, plan the schedule for Friday, and have I SPY time. I SPY is our challenge each week of finding something good that someone else did that week and call them out on it. It has been a great way to get all us to look for the good in each other and catch each other going above and beyond what they have to do. 
  • Friday- They are busy and each one is different. On Friday’s we have the clubfoot clinic weekly. First Friday of each month is parent education where around 100 outreach parents come for a time of education, Bible Study, and encouragement. 1 Friday a month is building clinic a chance for any new outreach kids to get equipment built and a time for older outreach children to get equipment fixed if broken or new equipment built if they outgrew their old equipment. Friday’s is also when we do home visits. 1 Friday a month is also Fun Activity’s for outreach where we have 30—40 families bring their kids and we have a fun morning together.   Some Friday’s I have also been doing Classroom education time slots in the afternoons. 

The pediatric Course I am using to train is one I wrote 2 years ago when I taught 3 courses for the LLU/UNAH Rehab Tech school. Since then I have added to it and I am able to go into more detail and have more hands on practice. So far in the last few weeks they have trained on 
  • Pediatric massage, stretching, therapy brushing
  • Therapy Ball Training/Techniques
  • Theraband
  • YOGA
  • Clubfoot Casting Techniques
  • CIMT Training
  • Sensory Integration Training and Techniques and AUTISM
  • Handwriting Training
  • Fine Motor and Hand Strengthening strategies 
  • Normal Developmental Progression for Gross Motor Development

Pouring into Nationals and putting on this training is not cheap. It cost about $50 US per person to make the Education Binders with all the materials in creole. There are 10 people so $500.  Each local and volunteer participating I give 2,000 gds a week to help them with their food and housing, times that by 7 (the other 3 are on salary) is 14,000 gds per week totaling around $175 a week. In total for the 4 months of Education I will be spending around $3,500. When you consider that 10 people will have completed not only classroom pediatric training but also hands on clinic based training that is not much at all. Think for a minute how much this type of training would be in the USA and that total could easily be for just 1 person’s training. Would you consider helping me raise $3,500 to ensure I can do the entire training. I know I am a little late in fundraising for this. I should have done the fundraising before starting BUT now you get to meet each of them and see some pictures of them doing the training. 

4 Rehab Technicians 

Jenny

Jenny has been hired as the lead Rehab Technician for the new STAND clinic. She is spending 3 months with me at the Miriam Center growing in her leadership skills and helping build the new program. I have known Jenny for a few years. I taught her pediatric course, she did clinical’s under me and volunteered at the Miriam Center. I asked Jenny 3 questions below are the questions and answers.

1. Why did you become a therapist?
I like everything based on health care and I was on my 2nd year of medicine when my big sister became a Rehab Tech and I felt in love with physical therapy  so I switched to Loma Linda Program and here I am. I think I became a Rehab Tech because I like the way we take care of people, specially kids. 

2. What is your favorite memory or moment in therapy at the Miriam Center?
I have a lot of memories with MC kids. They are the sweetest kids I have ever met. I think my favorite memory is when I was about to leave for another job at Cap Haitian, the kids were crying and they brought me gifts, and it was the most loving moment I spent with them and when I came back it was like I never left. They love me in a way I can’t even explain. 

3. What do you hope to gain from the next 3 months of education?
During the next 3 months coming I wanna be a great leader, I want to learn more about treating kids and I want to be able to do much more then what I used to. 


Claudette

Claudette has been working full-time at the Miriam Center for about a year. Prior to that she completed clinical rotations at the MC and spent a few months volunteering. She is great with the kids and the kids love her. 

1. Why did you become a therapist?
After the earthquake in 2010, I received information and I started working with a person who had a handicap. I realized that it was important for me to learn much more about physical therapy because I like giving my help and I feel comfortable when I am working with someone who’s in need, specially kids. 

2. What is your favorite memory or moment in therapy at the Miriam Center?
The best memory I have with the MC kids was December 2018 when I went on my vacation. When I got back they were so happy to see me and I realized that they missed me and I was important to them. 

3. What do you hope from the next 3 months of education?
During the 3 months of training I want to have a greater ability to identify any disability a kid can have like Autism, Cerebral Palsy, etc. 


Joseph

Joseph is the newest Rehab Technician hired to the Miriam Center. He has been working at the Miriam Center for the past 6 months. He really enjoys working with the kids and the kids enjoy working with him. 

  1. Why did you become a therapist?
I became a Rehab Tech because I love it and I like giving my help to people with disabilities. 

2. What is your favorite memory or moment in therapy at the Miriam Center?
When I work with the MC kids I feel good and my favorite memory with them its because they call me Pastor. One day I was working with Gilbert and he started calling me Pastor, the others were laughing at me and since that day they keep calling me Pastor. 

3. What do you hope  to gain from the next 3 months of education?
During my 3 months I want to learn different things to do with children with tetra paresis, STrabism, Kyphosis, and some feeding techniques for kids with disabilities. 


Paulimé

Paulimé is a Rehab Technician and heard about the 4 month pediatric continuing education course and came to complete it with hopes of getting a job in pediatrics after. He has some really good skills already and is eager to learn which is a good combination. 

1. Why did you become a therapist?
One of my cousins talked to me about therapy and the condition of the kids, I got interested about that. Thats why I am a Rehab Tech. 

2. What is your favorite memory or moment in therapy at the Miriam Center?
My favorite memory so far is when the outreach kids come, all the therapist are ready to work with them, they give their best for the MC kids and they accept them like they are. 

3. What do you hope to gain from the next 3 months of education?
During the 3 months I want to learn more about all the disabilities kids can have and what are the symptoms, this is going to allow me to be better at my job. 


LOCALS TRAINING
Nancy

Nancy has been volunteering at the Miriam Center since October of 2018. She has plans to go to Rehab Tech school in the fall of 2019 and wanted to get some experience and education while she waits to get into school. 

1. Why do you want to become a therapist?
I want to be a physical therapist because I love it and in my country we have a lot of people with disabilities who can’t have good care and people throw them away from the society, so I want to help them. 

2. What is your favorite memory or moment in therapy at the Miriam Center?
My big memory is because when Im sad, they make me laugh and Steven always does massage for me when I’m tired. I love them so much. 

3. What do you hope to gain from the next 3 months of education?
I want to learn the best way to help the kids live a good life and share with others who don’t really understand the importance of therapy for them. 


Richardson

Richardson has been volunteering at the Miriam Center since October of 2018. He has plans to go to Rehab Tech school in the fall of 2019 and wanted to get some experience and education while he waits to get into school.

1. Why do you want to become a therapist?
I want to be a therapist to help everyone who needs help due to having a handicap. I also want to show everyone in my community that a person with a handicap have their place in society and are not outcasts. 

2. What is your favorite memory or moment in therapy at the Miriam Center?
My favorite memory is every day when I work with the MC kids they bring me joy and happiness

3. What do you hope from the next 3 months of education?
I would like to learn alot of things and have more knowledge about therapy


Sony

Sony has been working as an Activity Assistant at the Miriam Center for a little over a year. He is great with the kids and has been very eager to learn. He has a desire to go to school to be a Rehab Tech in the fall. 
  1. Why do you want to become a therapist?
I want to be a therapist because in Haiti there’s not too much knowledge about this science and we have a lot of kids with special needs who don’t receive enough care so I want to help them. I also like working with kids a lot. 

2. What is your favorite memory or moment in therapy at the Miriam Center?
My favorite memory was doing a photo Shoot with the kids on valentines day and also Naika’s birthday celebration. 

3. What do you hope to gain from the next 3 months of education?
I would like to learn much more about pediatrics during the 3 months of training. I want to know how to help the kids step by step. 


Mdm PD

Mdm PD has been working at the Miriam Center as an Activity Assistant for a little over a year. She is amazing with the kids and the kids love her. She is currently working half days in order to finish her schooling in preparation to do continuing education. 
1. Why do you want to become a therapist?
I want to be a therapist because I love kids and I like working with them. 

2. What is your favorite memory or moment in therapy at the Miriam Center?
My favorite memory with the MC kids is all the pictures I took with them. Every time I see it, I am happy that we were together. 

3. What do you hope to gain from the next 3 months of education?
I want to know a better way to work with the kids.


Joseph

Joseph joined us a few weeks ago after hearing about the 4 month pediatric continuing education course and came to complete it with hopes of getting a good foundation and good hands on experience to help him with applying for therapy school in the fall. 

1. Why do you want to become a therapist?
I want to become a therapist to help kids with special needs and give my support to my community how Jesus Christ asks us to do. 

2. What is your favorite memory or moment in therapy at the Miriam Center?
I have made lots of memories with the MC kids already. They are so attractive, funny and its for the first time in my life I spend such a good time with kids. They show me how to be patient and strong. 

3. What do you hope to gain from the next 3 months of education?
In the coming days and weeks I want to learn much more about therapy, so I can be better prepared to go to school and become a therapist. 



Mary Michelle

Mary Michelle joined us a few weeks ago after hearing about the 4 month pediatric continuing education course and came to complete it with hopes of getting a good foundation and good hands on experience to help her with applying for therapy school in the fall.

1. Why do you want to become a therapist?
In January 2010 is when I wished I could be a therapist because alot of people were in need and I wasn’t able to do anything, I wish I could help but I wasn’t trained to do it. After that day I decided to become a therapist. 

2. What is your favorite memory or moment in therapy at the Miriam Center?
My favorite memory was the day we did clubfoot casting practice. It was fun and scary at the same time. I was able to feel what the kids feel and it now helps me better relate to them. 

3. What do you hope to gain from the next 3 months of education?
I don’t think 3 months will be enough to learn all the things I want to know about therapy but I am going to do my best to learn now and after to find a school to become a therapist,




No comments:

Post a Comment