Thursday, September 13, 2018

ACTIVITY ASSISTANT TRAINING


This week I started training 6 locals who will helping while I am stateside. They are going to be Activity Therapy Assistants. 2 are from mission church youth group and plan to go to therapy school starting this fall it, 1 is a rehab tech interested in working at MC, 1 is one of the older orphanage girls who is interested in pursuing therapy after finishing school and 2 are locals who are great with kids and willing to learn skills to help. I spent most of last weekend making binders. So far we have completed training on stretching, massage, therapy brush, CIMT treatment and other treatments for hemiplegia and brachial plexus, Casting techniques and therapy ball training. Love how God answers prayers went from thinking we would be short handed while I was gone now we have plenty and another rehab tech interested in interviewing. 


CASTING TECHNIQUES
Educated on putting on and taking off casts. These 4 are now ready to assist in the clubfoot clinic while i am gone. They also learned CIMT casting, how to cast a broken arm or leg and how to cast for prolonged stretching of a tendon. Unfortunately didn't have time to teach poinseti method so my Rehab Techs will hold and position while my students do the casting. It was a fun afternoon of learning



























Therapy Ball Techniques
We went over how to use the therapy ball to do stretching, work on core-strengthening, work on head control, work on sitting balance, and a few others. They got to practice with the Miriam Center kids and the outreach kids. It was a fun day!












Unfortunately I ran out of time to do more training before I left for Brazil and then stateside for my medical leave. But these 5 now have a good number of skills to be a huge help to my Rehab Technicians while I am gone. I will do more training when I get back in October. Unfortunately Lela and Cedler will already be off at school so won't be able to continue with the Pediatric training. But it does look like we will have 2-3 more locals joining in on our training times and as new volunteers. God is really providing and I sure do love pouring into and training the locals. 


No comments:

Post a Comment