Saturday, November 29, 2014

Loma Linda University/UNAH Rehab Tech Graduation

I have had the wonderful privledge of building a relationship with Loma Linda University/UNAH Rehab Tech School over the last year. This is the therapy school were Nahum started his therapy schooling in March. It is one of the only Rehab Tech schools in Haiti and is a 18 month program where they learn OT and PT from professors from Loma Linda University in California. The professors come to Haiti to teach 1-2 week units/classes. They then complete 1-2 level 1 fieldworks and 3 3month rotations. I will be honest when I first heard about the program I was a little skeptical about how much these students could learn with only 9 months of in class studies...especially when they were learning OT and PT. 

The following information is taken from their website:

http://www.llu.edu/allied-health/sahp/haitirehabtech.page  

Rehabilitation Technician Certificate Program- Port-au-Prince Haiti
This program was established to train Haitian rehabilitation technicians in Haiti, who will serve to rehabilitate persons with disabilities back into Haitian society.  The Training is provided at Hopital Adventiste d' Haiti, a sister hospital of Loma Linda University Medical Center and is taught in conjunction with The School of Allied Health Professions at Loma Linda University in Loma Linda California, USA. 
Haiti currently has no rehabilitation services established. With an estimated 4,000 individuals with quake related limb amputations and thousands more with permanent physical injuries after the 7.0 Earthquake in January 2010, the need for more rehabilitation technicians is great.  This program is the first of its kind to train rehabilitation technicians established in Haiti.
About the program
This program began in June 2012 and has been approved by the Ministry of Health and Ministry of Education.  This is a nine month program that includes lectures and hands on learning.  The class is limited to 8-16 students per year.
Topics for the program include:
Intro to Rehabilitation Services
Medical Terminology and Documentation
Human Anatomy and Physiology
Infectious Disease & the Healthcare Provider
Orthopaedic Interventions for PT and OT
Acute Care and Early Rehabilitation
Cardiopulmonary Care
Intervention Techniques for Independence in Self Care
Adaptation & Implementation of Devices
Mobility, Transfers, Accessibility
Wound Care
Neurological Interventions for PT and OT
Pediatric Interventions for PT and OT
Hand and Upper Extremity Rehabilitation and Splinting
Community Based Rehab
Introduction to Orthotics and Prosthetics Services
Psychosocial Aspects in Healthcare
Ethics and Whole Patient Care
Current Issues in Healthcare

About the Instructors
Teachers for this program have expertise in course topics.  Many are current faculty members from Loma Linda University who will travel to Haiti for one to two week time periods to teach in the program.  Translators will be utilized if English is the primary mode of communication for the Instructor.

So in March when I took my first level 2 fieldwork student Johnson to supervise for his 3 month internship, I was not sure what to expect...what I was getting myself into BUT I was pleasantly surprised by how much knowledge base he had! 




In June I took my second student Carlos to supervise for his 3 month internship. I immediately saw his heart for children and this gift he had. The kids & staff quickly fell in love with him & he had such an eagerness to learn.

Being a fieldwork supervisor in Haiti was very challenging because of the language barrier but so rewarding at the same time. My heart is to train nationals to be therapists and my dream has always been to have Haitian students...

In September I had the priveledge to go down to PAP for their graduation. I was very thankful that Nicholson was able to go with me (as he was applying to get into the program for next year). As I sat their and watched them graduate I could not have been more proud of their hard work & excited to see what God had in store for each of them.


The ceremony was absolutely beautiful and all those who spoke & shared did a great job encouraging the students and spoke truth into them. The emphasized message of graduation was on using their gifts/talents for the Lord and how they are dedicating their lives to a life of service through therapy...to help those in need.

I kept thinking...Graduation is a time to celebrate anywhere...but I felt like especially in Haiti where so many never to get to go to elementary school, let alone finish high school and to graduate from college...not only that but this program is very difficult to get into...they have around 100 applicants each year and only take 12-15 students each year...Each of the students on that stage graduating conquered many hurdles to be on that stage...they studied their butts off the last 18 months and they were walking across that stage different people
Johnson at graduation...receiving diploma


One of my absolute favorite parts of the entire ceremony was the candlelight ceremony. The class of graduating class all lit their candles and walked across the stage and lit one of the students candles from the 2015 graduating class. That symbolism was so powerful!


It was closely followed by the music. The music sung & played throughout the ceremony was well...AWSOME. I took a few videos I will try to post below....

It was such a Joy for me to see Nahum, to talk with him and be able to tell how much he has already learn in his first 6 months of schooling and to see his passion for therapy & helping others grow!
Nahum getting his candle lit, then with Nicholson & I and finally in his class picture after graduation
This is one of my favorite pictures from graduation...Nahum was my first therapy assistant and Nicholson my current therapy assistant. My heart is so warm knowing that Nahum is in school now and Nicholson will start in march. I could not be happier knowing that they both are receiving further education & training in therapy and will be able to change Haiti with the gifts/talents God has given them as they follow his call!



This is the Graduating Classes Group Picture after graduation


This is next years graduating classes class photo (Nahum's graduating class)


As I went back to the hotel after graduation I was overwhelmed with so many emotions reflecting on the day...Reflecting on the fact that today was a dream come true...I started reflecting back on my journey in Haiti...

FLASHBACK…..

When I was 12 and went on my first mission trip to Mexico I felt the call to do missions. It wasn’t until 2007 (when I was 20yrs) God called me to use my major of OT in service to him. When God called me in 2007 to fight for 14 children with special needs in a small orphanage I could never have imagined the journey it would take me on and where I would be today.
2008
CLICK HERE: To see YOUTUBE video of my Haiti Journey

Some days I can’t believe that God has enabled and allowed me to build up a therapy program at the Miriam Center, that I would have a therapy clinic running daily servicing the 40 children that live at the Miriam Home and 45+ children with special needs from the community as well. That he has blessed me with a partnership with a Rehab Technician Program in Haiti supervising students for their clinicals. That I would have a therapy assistant that after working a year at the Miriam Center would fall in love with therapy & want to go to school to become a therapist. Some days I just stand in Awe of God.

It was in 2009 when I felt called and realized the need to train the momma’s (Miriam center staff) to do simple therapy techniques with the kids and the need to train natives to be therapists. In 2010 I focused on increasing activities for the kids and doing evaluations on all the kids & starting therapy with them
CLICK HERE: To see YOUTUBE Video Haiti 2010

In 2011 I was able to hire Nahum as my first therapy assistant and spent 3 months training him to do therapy with the kids. By training him I left Haiti with a peace knowing the kids would continue to receive the therapy they needed even when I was not able to be there to provide it.
CLICK HERE: YOUTUBE VIDEO 2011 TRAINING NAHUM

 In 2012 I started training the Momma’s of the Miriam Home  and helped Heather (another missionary at the Miriam Center) set up a preschool for the severe & profound children. and I focused on educating and training the outreach families to be more hands on with their kids through simple therapy techniques they could do at home.
CLICK HERE: To see the FJS Outreach Video 2012

CLICK HERE: To see the Preschool Video

I have come to realize my time in Haiti cannot make an ultimate impact unless I am training natives to carry it on. Not to mention that the need is so great that I cannot even make a dent into the need BUT if I train others and help others to get an education in therapy.

In 2009 I had a dream of opening a therapy school in Haiti that would train natives because at the time I did not know of any programs in Haiti. In 2011-2012 I started to do A LOT more research as I knew Nahum really would like to further his education & get more training in therapy. Through my research I first came across a school but was disappointed when after further research found out the school had closed. I was very excited to later find a Rehab Tech program that had recently opened in PAP that a university in California Loma Linda University had opened in partnership with UNAH university in Haiti to train students in both Occupational Therapy (OT) and Physical Therapy (PT). It was only a 18 month program as well. Nahum applied and got accepted into the program. He started his school in March 2014 and will graduate in September 2015.

Loma Linda contacted me about a year ago to see if I would be a clinical supervisor for students for their level 2 3 month rotations. I was hesitant at first because I was not sure how much they could really learn in 9 months of class being taught both OT & PT. I was pleasantly surprised and impressed at how much my students knew, the amount of information they learned in a short amount of time, and their ability to apply it. The Miriam Center was very blessed to have Carlos and Johnson complete their internships working with the children & their families.

When I returned to Haiti after my (thankfully) quick medical trip back to the states in August. I found out I was invited to attend Johnson and Carlos’s graduation in September in PAP at the university. At first I was not sure if I was going to be able to make the trip. First physically because the bus ride kills my jaw and almost always causes a flare up. Second I only had 10 weeks in Haiti to make sure everything was sustainable and able to run when I head back to the states for 4 months to work and supports raise. I also knew October was going to be crazy busy.

BUT…

I am so thankful I took the time to go. Was the bus ride extremely bumpy…yes, was it difficult to follow my dietary restrictions not being at my house…yes, was I away from the mission & my kiddos  for 4 days…yes, did my jaw act up as a result of the trip…yes BUT I was EXTREMELY blessed and encouraged in so many ways during the trip. Just a few ways I was blessed…
1. To got to see Carlos & Johnson graduate & be apart of their special day! So proud of both of them and all the hard work they put into their studies. I know that they will both make good therapists! The ceremony was beautiful.
2. To learn that the university is a Christian university that teaches and reinforces the importance of service & being the hands & feet of Jesus to those you work with.
3. To get to spend time with Nicholson and Nahum- talking, playing basketball, helping Nicholson through the application process to get into school next year, observing Nahum during class, and seeing them both pursuing the calling God has given them.
4. Having the opportunity to talk with so many of the staff from the Loma Linda Program. Hearing how the program came about, their vision for the program, and success of it so far. Amazing group OT’s, PT’s and other staff that make it so the students thrive.
5. To observe a day of class when the pediatric PT was teaching and that they allowed not only me to sit in but Nicholson as well.
6. To hear from the staff at the university that Nahum is a star student and that Nicholson did great on his entrance exam to get in. The university is very hard to get into. They have around 100 applicants each year and only accept 16. I am so excited and feel so blessed that Nahum was accepted and is thriving in his schoolwork and that Nicholson has also been accepted into the program.
7. To begin talking to Carlos (one of my students) about what it would look like for him to come back and work at the Miriam Center. It is an EXCITING possibility to possibly hire a certified/trained therapist who I already know loves the kids, works well with the kids & staff and is passionate about what he does.

I had the wonderful privledge of spending 4 days in PAP attending graduation, meeting staff/faculty from the school, & even observing Nahum during a day of class. I was blessed to stay at the same hotel as some of the Universities staff. I really enjoyed talking to each of them & learning more about their stories & ministry call to Haiti. 


Dean of LLU, Johnson's friend, Johnson, Sondra (Directors Assistant), another friend, and Everette (director of program)

Sondra, Me & Everette on our last night at the hotel

Everette, Nicholson, Sondra, & Nahum


 The following are pictures from the day I spend observing Nahum in class & then lab. The class was pediatrics and these pictures are from their lab learning normal development of an infant month by month....



So thankful for this partnership with Loma Linda and for the opportunity for Nicholson & Nahum to get further education...I am thankful that I get to be a clinical supervisor and take fieldwork 1 and 2 students. 3 weeks after graduation I had 3 fieldwork 1 students from the school.
CLICK HERE: to read the blog about their time.


No comments:

Post a Comment