Saturday, November 29, 2014

QUICK OVERVIEW LAST 4 MONTH HIGHLIGHTS...



The past 4 months in Haiti could be summed up in 2 words...”Training Nationals” or “Developing Sustainability”. This blogpost will give you a QUICK overview of a 4 month period. Each of the sections has its own blogpost if you return to my blog. So if any of these you would like to read more about & see more pictures you can!

 When I returned to Haiti after my unexpected visit to the states I jumped right back into supervising the last 3 weeks of My 2nd student Carlos’s 3 month rotation.
I then spent a week re-evaluating, writing new treatment plans, & updating folders for the next 6-8 months to bring focus to therapy and for better therapy progress. 
I then traveled to PAP for 4 days to attend graduation for the 2 students from Rehabilitation Technician Program at Loma Linda University in partnership with UNAH.
Then I spend 3 days developing a training binder for the students that will also serve as a resource binder for them to take with them and help them down the road with pediatrics.

Then I had 3 students (Nahum, Patricia, and Joel) from The Rehab Tech program here for their level 1 pediatric clinical. I also had a young lady Laura working alongside me observing & learning about therapy to see if it was something she was interested in learning more about. My current assistant Nicholson has fallen in love with therapy and has been accepted into therapy school for next year and I will be needing a new therapy assistant that also speaks English. So lots of training happening with hopes to increase their skills & knowledge and empower them to provide care to those with special needs through their therapy skills.

The month of October was just as crazy busy but good. We had Phoenix Rising Orthopedic/Prosthetic/PT team come to be in PdP for a week and many of our kids at the MC and in the outreach program got to to be seen/treated by them and they have agreed to allow the students & I to come observe & learn. 

The next week the seizure team came


The following 2 weeks is the orthopedic surgery team. 



Brooke's Churches Team brought in a ton of adaptive equipment for the Miriam Center & I had the joy & privaledge of helping handing it out...



I am so thankful for all of these many medical opportunities to help improve the quality of life of the children & families we serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment