Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Trial Of Shipping Barrels To Haiti....EQUALS SUCCESS!!!!

Shipping to Haiti can be a Nightmare...Cost A TON of $...and well be so FRUSTRATING. Many of you are aware that about 5 years ago I shopped a crate full of therapy equipment my dad made, wheelchairs that were custom fit & donated by Presquile Rehab, & tons of therapy equipment that was bought along with 1,000 lbs of peanut butter that was collected at churches and schools in the Cincinnati Area. Unfortunately that crate is still stuck in customs...

So for the last few years we came to the realization the only way to get supplies to Haiti was to carry them in or have groups coming to the mission carry items in. We have also learned ways to get many everyday items in Haiti for cheaper by going to the bigger city to buy them & buying them in bulk. I have learned that if you fly first class into Haiti you get 3 bags at 70lbs for free and can pay for 2 more bags up to 70lbs. I have used this as a way to get many times into Haiti. About a year ago we learned that you can carry wheelchairs in by checking each 1 in place of a bag.

Last year I learned of a new way to ship items into Haiti. Miss Pat one of our missionaries who lives at The Bay campus had used a friend in Florida to ship a few barrels & a crate into Haiti. In January I met her friend & saw that he had shipped a few barrels of supplies in before he came on his trip. Jim helped me out ALOT last year with finishing up some construction on my therapy room like hanging the hooks for my therapy swings!
Jim is in the Orange Shirt

About a month ago I contacted Jim Schneider to see if he would be willing to help me ship a few barrels into Haiti. I decided it was worth a shot to try a new way to get supplies into Haiti. Jim said he would be happy to help me, so I started shipping donated items to him like Simply Thick thicker to help thicken drinks for the children who aspirate, I ordered a bunch of everyday items that are super expensive in Haiti off of dollar tree (garbage bags, toothpaste, soap,  & learned that they will ship it to any store in the USA for free so was able to have everything dropped right at a store close to Jim to pick up. I also ordered some items off of amazon & had them shipped right to him including a small trampoline with a net, chalkboard paint, magnetic paint, whiteboard paint, Adult small diapers, etc. Jim packed 7 barrels and 3 boxes of items for us. He also graciously went grocery shopping for me for some heavier objects and packed them in a barrel for me as well.








Jim blessed the Miriam Center by donating his time, energy & finances to help make this happen. He bought the barrels which were $20 a piece for the items to be placed into, packed the barrels, drove 4 hours to drop them off, & fought to get a good deal. THANK YOU!!!!


The Barrels arrived 3 weeks after leaving the doc in Ft. Lauterdale and arrived in PdP and then at the mission steps. EVERYTHING made it!!! What a huge blessing this is and new opportunities it opens up for the future!!!! Below is a picture of the trampoline all put together and already being enjoyed by the kids!


I got to go the the mission warehouse a few days ago and there was all this great therapy equipment that has been donated but unable to get into Haiti.

This past week as I was on a road trip across OH, IN, KY I was able to pack 5 5olb bags that were dropped to churches & people coming in this summer to Haiti & they will carry them in. I was even able to get 1 wheelchair from the mission warehouse to a group to carry in! Totally forgot to take a picture of my car packed to the max with everything...lol but below is the picture of the wheelchair for Minushe will be carried in sometime this next year :-)


EXCITED for this new way of getting supplies into Haiti!!! Thank you again JIM!!!!

9 comments:

  1. Nice Informative Blog having nice sharing.. Shipping Quote

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is refreshing to see an example of true religion, helping the orphans and widows. Keep doing God's will. He is calling on me to do the same thing. That's how I came across your blog. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Autumn, so glad I came across your blog while researching community health in Haiti. I met you in February and just saw you again in June leaving Respire Café after church. I was excited to see that your barrel supplies arrived. This may be something that we attempt in the future. Praying for your ministry :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Autumn! Can you message me the port in florida where it needed to be dropped and also the price of shipping and customs? Did you go in to Port au Prince or St. Marc?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also ship to Haiti. I have to go to Atlanta to ship to Port-A-Prince. Where can I go that is closer to me cause I live in Hillsville Va.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barrels are also used in the transportation of beverages and wines. This is because some barrels are designed to ensure wine that is being shipped to other parts of the world is kept under certain conditions.

    Barrel Shipping Services

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some shipping barrels, especially those that are made of some special wood ensure that wine being transported keeps on constantly fermenting and becoming better with time.

    Barrel Shipping Services

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shipping barrels are easy to access since there are so many companies that specialize in their manufacture.

    Barrel Shipping Services

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just admiring your work and wondering how you managed this blog so well. It’s so remarkable that I can't afford to not go through this valuable information whenever I surf the internet! gépszállítás Europa-Road Kft

    ReplyDelete