Thursday, June 16, 2011

Blown Away AND Full of JOY!

Tried to come up with words to describe the past 2 days…all I could come up that sums my past 2 days up in 1 sentence is “Blown Away AND Full of Joy.” I have had 3 specific moments in the last 2 days I never thought I would see or would be/have been years in coming.

First- Den-Den Kicking a soccer ball
Many of you know the miracle story of Den-Den starting to walk 3 months ago. For those of you who don’t know. Den-Den is one of the older higher functioning boys in the Miriam Center. He is the most determined boy I have ever met. When he sets his mind on doing something…he does it. He has Ataxic quadriplegic Cerebral Palsy. Basically He had limited control over any of his limbs. When I first started out working with Den-Den years ago he had very little control of his hands so he used his mouth & toes to color & paint. He soon realized He was different & wanted to use his hands…so we made Den-Den special crayons (really big)…He was so excited…but soon realized others used little crayons & he wanted to do the same…somehow he figured out how to hold his body so that he could color with little crayons. Last summer we got AFO’s (braces to help kids walk). Den-Den did not get any and was upset…he kept trying to stuff his foot into a little baby AFO he found lying around. That afternoon we had a meeting with our workers and one asked if Den-Den would ever walk & we said no…He overheard & was crushed…he began crying. He set out to prove us wrong. Before I left last summer he had figured out how to stand up & prop himself against the wall. Before I left I sat him down & said Den-Den I expect you to be walking when I come back next summer. That little boy set out practicing and about 4 months ago I got a video of Den-Den taking his first steps without any support…no walker…no braces. MIRACLE. He had managed to figure out how to hold his body & muscles to be able to walk. Thinking about it I tear up. Well yesterday Den-Den saw some Deaf kids playing soccer and decided He wanted to play. I was busy in working in the treatment room & he yelled to get my attention & told me he wanted a ball. I went & got him a little textured ball and he said no. He walked right into the room straight to the soccer ball in the corner turned around & started kicking it across the room!!!! WHAT!!! I couldn’t believe my eye. That boy hasn’t stop asking for that ball the past 2 days is kick around that soccer ball. He is getting so good. Wish the internet was fast enough to post video & pics but when I get back to the states I will post 

Second- Gildean sitting Independently for 5 minutes 3x
We have a new girl in the Miriam Home that came a few months ago. She is super low tone has poor trunk control & I thought poor head control till today. She is also fully blind. I had the opportunity to work one on one with her today & evaluate her. I used tons of vibration with her (all stuff I was able to carry in this summer). I started out with the vibrating bolster have her lay over it…having her sit with it on her lap leaning over it…then I started rubbing the vibrating frog down her back…gave her the vibrating Vibe critter for her mouth & hands. After about 20 minutes of vibration. I sat her on the floor & wrapped the vibrating snake around her waste. I slowly backed my hands away and she sat independently. Not only that she was moving her hands around & being very curious. A little bit later I took her out to the platform swing & sat so her feet were hanging over touching the floor. She was able to sit on the edge of the swing independently as well. This was such a priceless moment & I am so excited for the new opportunities this skill of sitting opens up for her!

Third- Walden & kem using switches to play the switch adapted game Lucky Ducks
So yesterday has been a moment that has been years in coming for me. Walden & Kem are 2 of my brightest kids but they are trapped inside their bodies. Both have spastic quadriplegic Cerebral palsy. Walden has no functional use of either his upper or lower extremities due to increased tone. I have been trying for years to figure out how to make it so Walden could interact with toys. This past year I have working really hard & learning about different assistive technology I could get to help him. Last summer I brought 1 switch in & adapted 2 batter operated toys. This worked for Kem but not for Walden. Kem has functional use of 1 of her arms & is able to activate the big switch. This summer I brought in 4 different switches. One I bought specifically for Walden called a grip in puff…it can work by squeezing down on it in palm or blowing in straw placed in mouth…Really thought this would work & was very disappointed when it didn’t work. I had ordered this one switch on accident thought it was a different on…or worked different. Well this is the switch that I was able to adapt to attach to Walden’s head where when he pushes his head against his wheelchair it makes the toys go. It was amazing to see the Joy & excitement. The most precious moment though was when I set up their wheelchairs next to each other at a table. I switch adapted lucky ducks so that they could play together. I would switch the cord so they could take turns making the ducks go around. When they stopped Kem would pick up a duck and when it was her turn look at the color underneath…when it was Walden’s turn it to show him. It was a priceless moment. So excited to see all the potential this door opens up for Walden.


Other Fun the past 2 days
This morning was a super fun morning. It started out at 9:00 with a music party down in the Miriam center with one of the American Groups. We all went out into the bird cage & I pulled out all the instruments & I brought the guitar down & we had so much fun. We sang songs, danced & had a really joyous moment. This was followed directly by train rides. This kids heard the four wheeler coming up & knew what was happening. They got so excited & all started screaming in excitement. For those of you who don’t know we have a train made out of 50 gallon barrels that have been turned into train carts with wheels attached & a steering wheel in each. We hook them all together then to a 4 wheeler where the fun begins. The kids had so much fun & so many smiles were had & joy was just overflowing. I had so much fun as I got to sit on the back of the four-wheeler & switch out holding all the low functioning kids & babies. My favorite moment was probably Isaac was sitting next to me on the back of the 4-wheeler screaming in Joy the for a good 20 minutes & everytime he screamed I screamed with him & then we would laugh & scream…laugh & scream. The other one was Kem…I would tilt her & over exaggerate the bumps & she would laugh & left. I also always love watching the older higher functioning kids sit with the younger ones & make sure they stay in the cart. I have to say train is one my favorite activities with the kids. Once again wish I could post video & pictures.

Exciting God Incidences…
1. As many of you know I like to go for walks in the afternoon as this is usually my only time to get off campus and into the streets of Haiti & it is a great stress reliever…time to refocus/think. Well for the first time yesterday I went on a walk with Heather Owens & her kids. It was so much fun & enjoyable. I just love watching her kids & seeing them interact with each others & the Hatians we passed. When we got back to the compound I was talking about the 2 shaving cream parties we have had at the Miriam center in the last week. She said next time I have one let her know because her daughter Ruby LOVES shaving cream & anything messy. I told her she sounds like a sensory seeking child. This lead to a long conversation that has lead to my being able to meet a need their family has which is to help them with their daughter’s sensory issues. It is amazing how God placed me here to meet that need after I have spent the last year growing my knowledge & understanding of sensory & this is a high interest area for me. I love helping others better understand sensory.

2. So as many of you know it is HOT in Haiti…but you may not know that recently it has been hotter than normal for this time of year…IT IS HOT. Luckily right now Courtney is not here so I have been using her Ryobi fan at night. I was gonna be sad to give it up when she got back (though excited for Courtney to come back & to dance beside her here in Haiti). Well this one family overheard me talking about the fan with a friend & how I was going to email a group coming in to see if they would buy one & bring it in & I could pay them back. Tonight they left me their fan and their last name was Marshall which was written in permanent marker…they said it was just perfect they wouldn’t even have to cross it off and had added my first name on top  It truly was a blessing.

So yes…I am Blown Away AND Full of Joy as I look back over the past few days. I know I am right where God wants me & so thankful He has chosen to use me & allowed me to see all this progress… In 2 days!!!! Excited to see what the rest of the summer has to hold!

No comments:

Post a Comment