Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Paperwork Frenzy :-)

Sorry I haven’t written in a few days. I have been sick & not feeling much up to writing at the end of the day. I can’t even remember when the last time I wrote was but I will try catch you up.

First off… update on chicken pox: The kids are doing great…they are all feeling better & no new kids have gotten the chicken pox. All the ones who had it have scabbed over.

The past few days have been very busy & focused on training Naham on each part of the evaluation low functioning & school forms. I had originally thought that the OT & PT that came in, in April had completed forms on all the Miriam Home children…but as I have gone back to type them into the computer, I found that they had completed 20 kids but that leaves 13 that still need evaluated. This week I am going to try to complete all 13 evaluations. Yesterday I got 2 done & Naham performed his first half of a school evaluation on his own (with me by his side) and this morning He finished. He did an amazing job. Today I completed 1 evaluation before going to deaf camp. Performing the evaluations have been rather time consuming taking about 2 hours each because as I am performing them I am training Naham & explaining each step. Hopefully the process will speed up as we still have 9 to do this week.

I already feel overwhelmed with all the paperwork. Doesn’t seem to matter if I am in the States or in Haiti the Paperwork follows me…lol. The 20 evaluations completed in April still need to be typed into the computer (actually 40 because there is a PT and OT one for each child) along with the 13 new ones I am doing this week. Each evaluation takes 30-45 minutes to type in. Once the evaluations are done & typed in I need to create a treatment plan & then turn that plan into a picture treatment plan that can be laminated for Naham & the workers to Reference. 3-4 hours of everyday so far have been paperwork on the computer & the rest performing evaluations. A little stressed that this all needs to be done by June 30th as when July rolls around I will be completely focused on For Jonathan’s Sake 4-5 hours a day. Which will involve creating 70 treatment plans, picture treatment plans, & training the parents how to be their child’s therapist.

I am seeing God’s purpose already for me since FSJ was cancelled till July due to the chicken pox outbreak. If I were doing FSJ right now I would not have this much time to train Naham or do any of this treatment planning for Miriam Home. I am excited for these treatment plans & evaluations. The past 2 years I have done evaluations & treatment plans but have never been able to finish & though tried from the states it was just to hard to get all the pieces back to Haiti & implementation when I was not there. Some ways it is frustrating to look back & know all that work was kinda in vain but not this year!  Naham will be here to carry it out, he will be trained, and will have individual sheets for each child to reference!

Some highlights from the past few days…
1. Den-Den who heard me say he would never walk last summer set out to prove me wrong & 3 months ago started walking completely on his own. Not only that but today He wanted me to go get him a ball…so I went and picked & got him a little textured sensory ball…He quickly told me no & got up & walked into the room to get what he wanted. He walked straight for the soccer ball. I went to help him pick it up & once again got told NO…which he proceeded to KICK it all the way across the floor & out the door! I am so proud of him
2. T-Willy after working with him for about 20 minutes & making him use his spastic arm (there were lots of crocodile tears) to swing, hold toys, hold vibration, etc. He allowed me to raise both his arms above his head & other people hold his spastic arm. It was awesome
3. Walden saying my name. He has been practicing. He babbles all the time & wants to talk so bad. Even now I can hear him across the way babbling!
4. Watching Owens play with the switch toys. He loved the vibrating pillow & would press the switch to make the pillow vibrate behind his back. I have never seen Owens smile or be interested in a toy for that long.
5. Kenderson my sensory seeking child (I have never seen a child seek so much vestibular & proprioceptive input as he does). As soon as he sees me he runs to me with arms up in the air to go spin him in the deep pressure swing or bounce him on the therapy ball…His favorite is when I hold him by his feet upside down and bounce him off the side of the therapy ball. This would so make me puke  I just love this kid.
6. Watching Kem receive a Barbie from a guy here on a short-term trip. His daughter sent a Barbie with him to give to a little girl in Haiti. He asked if he could give it to one of the Miriam Home children. It was pretty amazing & priceless 
7. Performing evaluations & just seeing how much progress my kidss have made & how much potential they have!

I know I am leaving a lot out…that is what I do when I do not blog in a few days…I forget so many good stories.

Please continue to keep me in your prayers. First that I would start feeling better this is the third day of not feeling well…Me & the bathroom have had too much quality bonding time. Also for my time management & that I would not stress about all the paperwork or feel overwhelmed by it but take 1 day at a time & trust God with the rest.

Satan has really been attacking me & reminding me that I am not worthy of this job & not qualified to be training Naham & so not the most qualified person to do so many of the things I am doing…He has been pointing out all my weaknesses. Pray that I would continue to remind myself…that yes I may not be qualified but God is qualified & He will guide & lead me…He is giver of all wisdom and He desires to be glorified in our weaknesses! He brought me here…He will use me…He will provide…He will make a way when their seems to be no way!

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment