Monday, June 6, 2011

My adventures into Haiti

I had quite the adventure into Haiti. It all started Sunday morning at 8:00AM when the internet both at my house and at the church was down and I had no way of getting my ticket information…thank goodness for Starbucks internet. Then while backing the car up so we could completely open the doors to fit suitcases in…I forgot to move my backpack (which had all the electronics in it) and backed over the front edge.

Prayed the whole way through security and getting on the plane that my carry-on’s would fit in & they would not say anything…And we were good

My first flight from Reno to Texas was very enjoyable. I sat next a women who’s husband was a Rescue worker from Texas in Reno for a training. Her husband helped me lift my 40lb & was making fun of it…lol I said well it won’t be heavy on the way back from Haiti. So halfway through our trip she said…”did I hear your going to Haiti?” Which launched a 30-40 minute conversation about Haiti  She asked…. On the way off the plane she handed me a snickers bar & a donation for Haiti which was really sweet.

On both my flights I began reading the book the DREAM GIVER again. Yes, this is like my fourth time in 2 years but this book so reminds me of why I do what I do and puts my struggles back into perspective. (I will share more details in another blog post about what God has been speaking to me the past 2 days)

When I arrived in Texas I had about an hour to make my flight but the airport is so big I barely made it which means I got no food…was a little bummed since all I had was cheerios and carrots since 8:00AM. Then they ran out of room for overhead carry-on’s and made me check mine. Then said I would have to retrieve it at baggage claim (which I thought I was going to be able to avoid since my bags were checked straight to Haiti) . Well once again God sat me next to a lady that we were both able to bless each other. For the entire 3 hours flight we talked and shared about the work God called us to. She insisted on buying me a snack pack on the plane…which in the end was a really big blessing since when I landed in Miami no restaurants were open. My carry-on came rather quickly and then came the obstacle of getting a shuttle to my hotel.

I thought I would be able to pull up the internet in Miami and look up the number for my hotel but the internet costs money and would not let me. I ended up texting my friend in Oklahoma to look up the number for me and called. Once again God blessed me…just as I got a hold of the hotel and asked how to request the shuttle it pulled up in front of me 

I got to the hotel and said they did not have a reservation for me. I called and texted Jody in Haiti. Her husband Jose called 3x before we finally got it worked out. But God is faithful and I made it up to my room by 11:30PM and got 3.5 wonderful hours of sleep.

In the morning the earliest shuttle to the airport was 5AM and my boarding started at 6AM. I got down to where the shuttle leaves from 15 minutes early and at 5:15 I was still sitting there. When I asked at the desk the guy said your driver is right over there (watching tv). I finally convinced him to take me to the airport and luckily a short line for security and was at my gate by 5:45. I was super excited to find a coffee shop open to get a smoothie and bagel as I was pretty hungry since I did not get lunch or dinner the day before.

My flight into Haiti was smooth and arrived in Haiti by 8:30 and was through customs by 9:00 and all my bags were waiting for me  A Hatian I did not know came up and asked to help me….I told him I was waiting for someone and he said “Jacque?” And I said “yes” He proceeded to take me outside and down a nice new long PAVED walkway where I met up with someone who showed me ID from the mission who proceeded to take me farther to a group of 3 guys with mission staff shirts on. From there we proceeded to catch a Tap-Tap to the little airport where I then had a 3 hour wait for my short flight on the prop plane to Port-A-Pey. I met some nice Hatians in the airport but I quickly got frustrated with my limited Creole and the staff from the mission who were helping me get on my plane gave me a hard time that this is my 5th trip to Haiti and I still can’t speak Creole…lol. One Haitian said he knew Spanish so I tried to communicate via espanol but I have forgotten so much in the past 6 years. I decided as I sat in the airport I need to learn more creole! It’s a new goal.

On the small plane ride I met a group of about 8 from a church in Florida headed to do mission work in Port-A-Pey. They were asking me all kinds of questions about the plane…tried not to scare them but reassure that the planes were safe and warned them about landing on dirt runway, that it would be loud, and sometimes the fly with the window open. It was probably one of the best Tortuga flights I have ever been on. When we landed I quickly learned none of my luggage made the flight…not even my carry on. So all I had was my book bag that had my electronics and Bible.

I got into a Tap-Tap to make my way up to NWHCM…once again my limited Creole frustrated me. So instead of riding in the back of the tap-tap since it was just me I got to ride in the cab…some of you may be thinking this is better…NO…For over an hour I got to watch my driver play chicken with all the other vehicles on the dirt narrow roads….I prayed A LOT and wished I was in the back where I could be oblivious 

I really did enjoy the ride though…it is so good to be reminded of the culture…so many emotions ran through me during that drive. It began raining shortly into our trip and I was reminded how blessed we are to have houses with roofs, that we have cars to drive in…most everyone was walking, tap-tapping, or on mopeds. We work in buildings and are protected…most sell things on the streets in Haiti. Halfway into our trip we picked up about 10 teenagers who had just got out of school and would have had to walk miles in the rain home. I never realized how far many of these children had to walk for school…and these children are lucky. The majority of the children in Haiti do not go to school because they cannot afford it…not only do you have to pay to go to school in Haiti you have to buy uniforms and supplies. I just really got thinking about how blessed we are in America to have access to a free education.

As we were driving along I was watching the people and how they reacted to the rain…children playing in the rain and laughing, others trying to cover with anything they could find or find shelter under a tree, but MANY running to grab buckets to collect the rain water so they could have clean drinking water.

I could go on and on telling about all that went through my head in that short hour ride to the mission. When I arrived at the mission I met the interns and said hi to many from my mission family before quickly heading down to see the kids. It was about 1:30ish and so the kids were getting ready to nap.

When I walked in it was so good to see the workers faces light up and get hugs and kisses from them all. I then headed into the boys room. Steven was on the potty and when he saw me was so excited he almost fell off  Joseph ran up and gave me a hug and quickly told me to sit next to him…Den-Den was half asleep, Moise got really excited and started rocking, Isaac quickly called me over, John waited to make sure I caught sight of him and said hi…Walden quickly tried to roll over to see me and gave me the cutest smile, Owens gave me a high five. I then proceeded to the smaller kids and got to see my boy Job who I gave tickles and snuggled with for a while, we have a new little boy who is adorable and I played with him for a while… over He has the cutest laugh. Kenderson has gotten so tall and is walking all I then went over to the girls room where Natalie proceeded to run and jump into my arms and refuse to get down for about 10 minutes, Mary-Julie and Kem gave me the biggest smiles, Tamara was laughing and was wearing an awesome shirt that totally described her personality…It was along the lines of I didn’t do it! Lol…Hope had managed to rip plastic off her diaper cover and trying to devour it (she likes anything plastic and I swear can sniff it out.) I could go and describe each of the kids but overall they are all doing well and I am so excited to be back and to start loving on them and working with them.

I managed to lay down and take a nap and then My bags arrived shortly before dinner soak and wet but luckily all my electronics were dry  We had dinner, devotions, and now I am chilling in the staff lounge with the interns who are watching a movie.

There is so much to do tomorrow but I am excited to get started. Please pray for wisdom and strength at I work on schedules, talking to staff, and get things organized.

ps. sorry if this does not all make since I am really tired but did want to write :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the wonderful update!!! Can't wait to hear more. I will be praying for all of you!!!! xoxo mandy

    ReplyDelete