Saturday, May 18, 2013

MEZI JEZI!...Thank you Jesus! (Health UPDATE)


This is continuation to my first blog (Jezi Konnen- Jesus Knows). You may want to read that blog first before reading this one. To completely understand the story from the beginning. The past 2.5 weeks have continued to be full of dr. appointments, Lab work, tests, waiting, uncertainty, good news and bad news. Yesterday driving home from UPMC Farrell Hospital I realized I had been there 6x in the last 2 weeks for test/labs. The staff started recognizing me ;/ lol

Monday May 6th I went for a sonogram of my Liver, Kidney’s, Gallbladder, and Pancrease. On Teusday I went back to the dr. He reported that my typhoid came back negative showing I never had it and didn’t have it (not sure since in Haiti diagnoses 2x with it and Miami Hospital said that the typhoid hid in my gallbladder & that is what made me so sick). He also reported that I had sludge in my gallbladder/gallstones and that I may have a kidney stone too big to pass at 4-5mm. He said he wanted me to go see a urologist and go get tested for Hep A. So I left the dr. office and go my bloodwork done for Hep A and received a phone call later that afternoon that the earliest they could get me in to a urologist was May 21st. My heart dropped. I did not want to wait that long…If they ended up having to blast the stone or do anytype of procedure I would be out of Haiti even longer…The next morning the dr. office called to tall me my Hep A tests came back positive…that was a blow…I was talking to Molly the ST in Haiti right now and she told me her mom works for a urologist in Pittsburgh and might be able to get me in sooner. After corresponding with her she was able to get me an appointment for that Friday in Pittsburgh. That was GREAT news!!!! On Friday My dad and I headed down to Pittsburgh to see the Urologist. He stated he does not usually do anything for kidney stones unless you are trying to pass them and that He would need a CT scan to better see where the stone was at and better measurement of the size.  He also did not think I had Hep A because I had my Hep A vaccine. He thinks I was showing antiboties to Hep A and that was what was coming up on my tests (once again not sure since 1 dr. says I have it and another saying I don’t). He thought my biggest problems/concerns were more GI related and wanted to consult with some of his associates. His assistant (Molly’s Mom) called me later that day to let me know that I had a CT scan set up for Teusday and a dr. appointment with a GI doctor in Pittsburgh on Thursday.

Friday I went to store to buy a Juicer as juicing is to be great for your digestive system and especially your liver/gallbladder. Some of the missionaries did juicing in Haiti when they had Hep A a few years back. I also thought it would be good as I was still not tolerating a lot of solid foods. This would give me lots of nutrients/vitamins & minerals I needed to start regaining strength. Heather Owen (the executive director of the missions wife) was a huge help picking out a juicer and helping me know what vegetables were best to juice for the liver.

Monday night I had to start the prep for the CT scan…drinking 30oz of chalk like substance that would coat my insides and make them glow. In the morning I had to drink 10oz more and then when I arrived for the scan drink 10oz more. My stomach definitely hurt by the time of the scan. It was a 2 part scan. They took pictures with just the chalk like substance in my system then put an IV in with a dye that make my veins glow and retook the scan. Teusday morning I got a call from the urologist that my CT look great from his perspective for my kidneys, liver, and pancrease. I was still having a fair amount of stomach pain the last few days and so was glad I had an appointment on Thursday with doctor. 

The GI dr. (later learned it was 2 intern drs.) after taking an extensive hx stated “Well, I am not sure what happened to you…but it was not good…we will be back). Umm…well that makes me feel good…what was that suppose to mean…lol They returned ~10 minutes later with the Dr. who stated that after looking over hx., talking to the urologist, looking at CT scan. He is not sure what all I had but does believe I don’t have any infections left. He believes the stomach cramping, heartburn, nausea, etc.  are a result of everything my system has dealt with and will take a month or so to clear up. He wants me to start working my way back up to a regular diet and work on gaining some of my weight back. He gave me a prescription to help with heartburn. He sent me to get more labwork done to check for Hep B just to rule it out and wants to check my liver counts to see if they have gone down. He feels returning to Haiti in first week of June is a realistic goal as long as bloodwork comes back good and I start holding more food. MEZI JEZI (THANK YOU JESUS!!!)

I want to Thank EVERYONE who has been praying for me the last 2 months. For all the encouraging cards, texts, emails, facebook messages, visits, hugs. I have felt so loved and supported throughout this entire process. I truly believe God  heard all the prayers and answered them and healed me and is continuing to heal me!!! MEZI JEZI

No comments:

Post a Comment