Thursday, May 16, 2013

Saturday Fun!!!!


Last summer I focused on really training the day time weekday mom's on working with the children. Through the preschool, demonstrating appropriate feeding techniques during mealtime, and really working hand-in-hand with them through the everyday tasks.

The one group of staff that I really have not spent much time pouring into before has been my weekend day staff. By the time the weekend would get here I was tired from working hard all week and just wanted to have fun with the kids. Last summer I was also doing special feeding with 5 kids and had 2 children living with me.

This year I really want to take time on Saturday's to pour into the Weekend Day Mom's and train them on ways to interact with the kids.  A typical Saturday is super laid back. The severe and profound lay in the hallway and on the matts all morning then nap in the afternoon followed by being laid back in the hallway/on the matts. The older kids entertain themselves (playing in the rocks, riding on their cars, etc.). Throughout the day the mothers would braid the girls hair along with taking care of the daily needs (feeding, changing diapers, etc.).

I found the my mother's learn best by example/demonstration.  So my second Saturday in Haiti I went downstairs and carried all the severe & profound kiddos out to the birdcage for tummy-time, bubbles, therapy brushing and music time.  I was surprised at how excited the mothers were to interact with the kids and know what to do. After naptime we took the kids back outside into the birdcage.

The following Saturday it was raining and so I took all the kids into the severe & profound classroom and set it up with boppy pillows for tummy time, put a few kids in wheelchairs, etc. We then did lotion massages and vibrating therapy brushing on all the kids while we listened to music. Once again I was amazed by how EXCITED the mothers were. The sensory kids I set up in the birdcage with therapy swings and therapy balls for free play. The older kids played in the hallway with LEGOs and their play set of tools.

The next Saturday I was running behind and did not get downstairs to after breakfast. When I got downstairs the mother's had already moved all the severe and profound children to the room with boppy pillows. They were waiting for me to get lotion and brushes out. I got them all set up with the little guys and then worked with 1-2 of the older kids at a time working on specific therapy goals.









The following Saturday  I was sick and when I went downstairs mid-morning I found the mothers with all the kids set-up, lotionand therapy brushing all the kids...ALL ON THEIR OWN INITIATIVE!!!! This is exciting because in just a few weeks with a little bit of training, the mothers are much more hands on with the kids because they know what to do. 

I am excited to continue pouring into these mothers, expanding their knowledge of ways to interact hands on with the kids. (unfortunately I do not have any photos of me working with the weekend moms or the moms working with the kids, when I get back to Haiti I will definitely get some and post them. It is priceless to watch!). 














No comments:

Post a Comment