Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Health Battle Rages- HEALTH UPDATE

Just when I thought I was almost ready to return to Haiti after getting the clear from GI doctor I got another infection...Two Thursday's ago I noticed a red spot in my armpit. I thought it was an ingrown hair or a bugbite. Friday & Saturday it got a little bit bigger/redder. It was not till Sunday night that it doubled in size and really started to hurt. Monday morning I called & got in to see the dr. She lanced the sore, took culture to test for MRSA, & drained it. When I left I was instructed that if I got red shooting lines or fever to call &/or go to the ER. By early afternoon I noticed red lines going down my arm. I called the dr. & they had me mark it with a permanent marker and said if the red spread any further to go to the ER. I laid down for an hour & when I work up the red had spread 2 more inches. I went to the ER where they gave me a double shot of antibiotics and for the sore to be drained again. The nurse said I had the start of cellulitis. When I returned home the redness continued to spread at rapid rate. A good friend of mine Geniene who is a nurse came over to help decide whether or not I should return to the ER. We decided that that unless I spiked a fever or the redness/swelling spread more that I should be good till AM to return to dr. At 4AM I got a lowgrade fever. I called my friend and we both decided that I would take some IB profin and go back to bed since only 4 hours till dr.  office opened. Somewhere around 7-8AM the antibiotics must of kicked in and the swelling went down & the redness quick spreading. Went to the dr. where they drained the sore again. I got a call a few days later that the cultures came back as MRSA. I daily used moist heat to help break up puss pocket and drained the area.

I finally got the clear on Teusday from my primary physician to return back to Haiti in a few weeks. They want to me wait another couple weeks to gain my strength/endurance back and build up better immunity.

I also got a call last week that my Hepatitis B shot that I got 12 years ago was not effective. My blood work was not showing antibodies to it. So yesterday I went and got the first shot to the Hep B series again.

I am praising God that the MRSA infection is gone and that I got the clear to return to Haiti. I am thankful for the lessons He has been teaching me through all of these health battles.

Thank you for all your prayers and encouragement!!! Please continue to pray that I would be able to maintain good health and regain strength, endurance, and my immune system would continue to increase.

No comments:

Post a Comment