Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Deaf School

This past year the Miram Center took over the Deaf School. While I was in Haiti Courtney and I conquered organizing the Deaf school supplies. We pulled out all the boxes of books and supplies they had and organized them into cloth boxes that would fit on a shelf. We were also able to give them many more supplies including art supplies, toys for the kids to play with outside, education supplies, etc. We spent 2 days getting everything organized.

I had the wonderful opportunity getting to know the deaf teacher this trip. I had a few really good conversations with him. One day I got to sit down with him and have an hour and a half conversation. At first I shared with him about the DVDs I am working on making and showed him clips of what I had finished so far, I also gave him 2 sign language DVDs I had bought for him to use in the classroom. Then we started talking about the kids, his family, my family. Then my favorite part of our conversation was getting to talk about the future plans in Bono, the potential for the kids, and about what a BIG God we serve. By the end of our conversation I was exhausted. I do not know sign language very well but God allowed us to communicate and share our passion for these chidlren and for serving God. :)

I also got the opportunity to go over to the deaf school one day and meet the deaf children and take some pictures. I formed a really good relationship with the oldest child in the deaf school Wesley. Wesley everyday comes over to the Miriam Center and help transport the kids over to school. He got so excited the first day we met and he found out I knew a little bit of sign. Everyday we said hi and would have a little conversation. He is an amazing young man.

The pictures below of the individual kids are them showing there name signs. Wesly gave me a name sign the very first time we met. It is amazing to see my kids at school. They love it so much and are little sponges wanted to learn all they can. It is awsome because it gives them a way to communicate as well.

The plan in Bono is for the deaf teacher to move his family out to Bono and the deaf school will be a boarding school where the deaf kids will live at Bono during the week but on weekends go home and be with there families.

















































No comments:

Post a Comment