Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Orthopedic group = Help for my kids & Many others :)

































The past week I had the amazing opportunity to watch and work with the orthopedic team that was at the mission. God really opened a BIG door with them when He closed the door for me to go to PAP. I received the BEST birthday present ever…some of my children receiving AFO’s and the hope/potential to walk . It all started when Courtney said maybe I should see if they would come look at some of our kids (she was headed off to PAP and it was more of my area than hers). So I headed over to the surgery wing where they were set up at and asked.

I informed them that I had a big box of donated AFO’s in my storage depot and that I would love if they would be able to remold some of them to fit some of the kids. About a year ago I bought all the supplies needed to do it and spent 1 afternoon with an orthotist who showed me the basics but my supplies never made it to Haiti. Gretchen the orthotist agreed and that afternoon came over and evaluated my kids. The next morning she came and picked out AFO’s she thought she could remold. The kids were so excited. The following 2 days she worked on custom fitting them.

By far the best day was the day the kids received their newly fitted braces. I have never seen my kids eyes light up or have such big smiles.
Steven was the first one to receive his new braces and shoes. He could hardly wait to get up and try them out. He was able to walk with some assistance for balance and safety with a walker. All week sense then every time he sees me, he signs for me to either put on his shoes and braces or to help him practice walking.
Ju-Ju was next and she was able to stand by herself for a few seconds and take a few steps independently and walk with a walker. All week she has been pulling herself up on me so she can practice walking.

T-Willy got 2 AFO’s and a hand splint. He was not as accepting (he is only 4) and the first day I had his splints on he cried for 2 hours straight. The next day he only cried when I put them on and now he is fine….he does not even cry. After having the hand splint on for 4 hours when the brace was taken off he held his hand open :)


Job also got a hand-splint and Tamara got an AFO for her 1 foot and they took a mold to take home and custom make one for her other foot. Tamara can walk about 6 or 7 feet independently but refuses to most of the time unless noone is looking. Gretchen took molds for Owens feet as well to take home and custom make AFOs and bring them back in October when they come. She was going to try to get molds to make chest braces for Rachel, Job, and T-Willy but she did not have room to take them home in her suitcase. So she is going to bring back generic ones to can fit when she comes back in October.

The prosthetic team also saw 2 of my outreach kids (siblings) who have some genetic disorder that deforms the bones. My first though was Arthrygroposis multicomplex congenita because they had multiple contractures. The team looked at them so when they go home they can come up with a game plan of how to help them when they come back in October. SO EXCITING!!!

As Excited as I am though my heart HURTS over the fact that 2 of my boys realized they did not get any. Den-Den over heard one of our Hatian Staff ask if He would ever walk and we said no. He was crushed. I caught him the next day with a pair of baby AFOs trying to shove them onto his feet. How heart-breaking to tell them they won’t fit and I don’t have any for you. I took away the AFO’s and went back to organzing the therapy/playroom only to hear him yell for me. I turned around and he had pulled himself up and propped himself against the wall to show me HE COULD STAND. It took everything in me not to break into tears. I LOVE THAT BOY! He works so hard in everything he does. The next day I walked in to put the AFO’s on the kids that have them and Den-Den pulled himself to stand by a worker and I could see in his head he was saying “Look I can stand and I will walk…I will find a way!” Later that afternoon I put a belt around his waist that helps me assist him to walk and He tried sooooooooo hard and did amazing! He even walked up the stairs. Courtney and I decided we have to get him braces to help him walk. He wants it so bad. John saw me praising Den-Den for his hard-work. John used all his upper body strength to pull himself to stand (well he has contractures in his knees and so he was not really standing but in his mind…He was!). I have the most determined children in the world. So as you can see my heart hurts for my kids who feel left out but rejoicing in the fact they are determined to find a way and I am determined to fight with them to help them find a way!

I also had the wonderful blessing of being able to see the other wonderful work the orthopedic/prosthetic group was able to do. I personally got to witness 5 amputees walk with their new legs the group made, fitted, and taught them how to walk on. They changed so many lives in the short 4 days they were in Haiti. They worked so hard.
During devotions one night one group member who had been sick and was staying in the surgery wing while he recovered came up and interrupted devotions and said we all needed to go down to the court yard. A man is walking for the first time in a long time and he is praising Jesus and we need to be there to encourage him. So we did and it was amazing to have 100 people there cheering him on all the way to the gate and seeing him stop to raise his hands in praise.

The groups last day they were only there for half a day till 12 because they had to catch there flight and that morning they fit 4 people for new legs and I got to see them walk out and show off there legs. It was very touching because these legs changed these 4 people and there lives forever. I am not sure how many people they helped in those 4 days but I am sure it was over 30. Many of them were victims from the earthquake. In Haiti if you have a disability (including losing a limb) you are seen as worthless. You are seen to have done something to deserve it. These people weren’t just given the opportunity to live but HOPE and not just Hope in a limb but hope in Christ as well.


I had the opportunity to have a few conversations to talk with the group about building them a place that would be there space when we move to Bono. The next closest clinic to do what they were doing temporarily is in PAP the Hanger facility there across from the Albert Schweitzer hospital. The group that was in working at our facility was a branch of Hanger.
It was really awesome because I was hoping while I was in PAP to go visit the hanger clinic and even though God closed that door he opened the door to still make connections with hanger, learn from them, and possibly build a partnership to help not only the Miriam Center but the whole northwest zone of Haiti. I am telling you everyday I see my God being BIGGER and BIGGER!

No comments:

Post a Comment