Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Bus Trip to Pourt-A-Prince

We took 2 mission buses down over the hill into town where we unloaded onto 2 school buses that were going to drive us to Port-A-Prince. I piled onto one of the buses and was amazed at how nice it was. It had real padded seats, there were airfreshners hanging from the ceiling and the seats were even bolted down. I was impressed. We were sitting there for about 20 minutes when Curtis came on and asked for 2 people to move over to the other bus. I volunteered. So I grabbed my bags and headed over to the other bus which I sadly found to be a normal Haiti bus with uncushioned seates, seats not bolted down, and thin isles you can’t walk through. I stayed positive hey, I get my own seat at least. HAHA well, not so right before I left I got a seat buddy. I started thinking I was crazy for leaving the comfy bus but thought God has a reason for everything.
Well, we started down the road and I began talking to the man next to me. I found out he had been to Haiti 4 times, He had a daughter going to PT school and had 3 other kids, we talked about the work he did that week and I shared my passion for the Miriam center. It really made the first hour go by fairly fast. The next thing I new we were past Port a Pey. Well I knew it was going to be a very long night and if I was going to make the trip it was going to be by God’s grace. So I put in my headphones with worship music blasting and held on to the seat in front on me (for safety reasons ;) The next two hours I worshiped God and was overwhelmed with gratitude for the past month God had allowed me to be a vessel he used to touch these kids lives. I was overwhelmed by His presence and His perfect plans and perfect timing and most of all His love. The verses that kept running through my head were your strength is made perfect in weaknesses and God never gives us more than we can handle. I felt so weak and exhausted and I did not know how I was going to make it through the trip. This made me think about Christ long and exhausting journey to calvary and the suffering he went through for me. After about 4 hours every time we hit a bump I thought my back and head were going to fall off. Around 2 AM I remember praying to God and telling him I can’t take this bus ride anymore I am so tired and every muscle in body hurts and about 5 minutes later we stopped at a mission outside of Port-A-Price to sleep for 2 hours. It was the most amazing 2 hours of sleep ever. I was laying there and in the morning I realized one reason I took that bus ride. I did not want to leave the mission I was not ready to go home but after that bus ride I JUST WANTED TO GO HOME! Lol got to love God’s sense of humor.
I took a flight from Pourt-A-Prince to Miami at 8:00AM landing in Miami at around 12 in the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment