Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Help has arrived...and so has more work :)

So the past few days have been extremely busy. Last night I found 2 of my kids with high fevers one 102 and the other 105 we rushed them to the showers, had a doctor look at them and then Courtney and I wrapped them in wet towels and syringed fluids. A nurse came and took Job for the night and took care of him and I sat with Walden till 10 and his fever was down and he had a normal temperature again. I had him sleep back downstairs in his bed. Please Keep them both in your prayers. Walden has had a fever the past 4 days and Job just spiked a fever last night. Job keeps aspirating on his food. One because of poor positioning during feeding and 2nd he has a poor suck swallow breath. Today I did a feeding evaluation with him and I am working on coming up with a feeding plan. He really needs to be tube fed but that is not possible here. So please pray for wisdom for us as we try to figuere out the best way to feed him and get him hidrated. We are hoping to get an IV in him tonight. And are thinking about putting a tube down his nose just for liquids.

We had a group of 100 people come in yesterday and it is crazy. The good news 70 of them are leaving campus tomorrow and spreading out all around haiti. Which will be nice for everyone to be in smaller groups and awsome how many places are going to be ministered to this week.

In this group a physiotherapist (physical therapist) from Canada has joined me in the Miriam Center. It is so exciting all day today we worked on brainstorming and we developed an evaluation tool that will evaluate the children's Gross Motor skills, FM skills, and a basic cognition evaluation. We were both brain dead at the end...I am not in school mode any more and brainstorming hurt...lol...I guess it is good to get back in the groove to prepare me for placement :) We are trying to make it personalized to the Miriam center and writing up the results in "lay person terms" so it is easy to follow. This week we hope to evaluate all the kids and develop a treatment protocol for each kid. This protocol will have pictures of the kids being stretched, of them in proper feeding position of them in proper wheelchair positioning, of the kids in proper sleeping position. We are trying to makes things very visual to break the language barrier. Next Monday we are hoping to do a staff training to show the workers how to properly feed, how to properly position, introduce them to our new activity schedule, ect. It is going to be a very busy week with alot of work but this is very important information for the next few months. I also found a whole box of AFO's (feet braces) and I am working on getting a heat gun so I can remold some of them to fit the kids. Some of the kids would really benefit from this. I am super excited to work with Miriam (the PT), she is great!

This evening I spent some time with the kids. I got Ju--Ju to stand unsupported for a whole minutes and to walk with holding on to only one hand. We played playdoe and legos. Jimpson and I went for a long walk and when I tried to bring him back he fought me. He loves to walk and sadly he does not get to near enough. He is the oldest boy here and he craves attention. 

The thing I was reminded of today through my personal Bible Study and through Group Devo's today was how Big the God we serve is. He is always with us, always protecting us, always guiding us, he never slumbers, he never leaves us. He is creator of all, He is our Father, our Savior, our Redeemer. How awsome is that.

Please keep Miriam and Me in your prayers as we start evaluations tomorrow, Keep Job and Walden in your prayers as they continue to heal from infections.

Love you all!

1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh, sounds like so much exciting things are happening there!!!!! I can't wait to see all of the pictures and hear more stories! Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete