Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I'm Here

Hi everyone! sorry I did not post sooner the internet has been down at the mission.

I had a good but long trip into Haiti. I met up with 6 other interns in Miami and we all flew into Port A Prince together. We stayed over night in a really nice hotel that had a pool with a lil waterfall in it and the rooms had air condition :) I did not feel like I was in Haiti. In the morning we took a small plane to Port a Pey and then took a tap tap the rest of the way to the mission. WE got to the mission around 10 AM. We were all surprised how quickly we made it.  

The first thing I did was go down and see my kids :) It is so exciting to see what Courtney has already done down there. My heart jumped for joy when I went down and saw the kids being played with and they had educational toys to play with. The walls are painted and it is so kid friendly. Also the kids no longer are sleeping in cribs they have big kid beds :) this is so exciting. God is doing some amazing things in this area.

For those of you who do not know. There are alot of changes happening at the mission this summer especially with the special needs kids. There are now going to be 4 programs for these children. One program is a residential home for 14 disabled children (the old heaven's waiting room now called the miriam home), then there is a feeding program for community disabled children. They will be given 2 meals a day along with their caregiver. The third program will provide therapy and educational play for these community disabled children. The fourth program is called Rous corner and it is for terminal babies to die in peace. These programs are my baby for the summer. I have done a lot of planning and will be helping courtney set up a schedule for these kids and therapy programs. A church just donated around 100 educational toys thousands of dollars worth which is such a blessing so me and courtney are going to be working on organizing all the toys and building some different equiptment. 

All the interns are very nice. The first 4 days here at the mission is staff training. Yesterday I learned a lot about the mission and in more detail I learned all the different programs. 

A few minutes ago I just got back from walking to the waterfall a 6 hour walk but we took a truck part way so it was only 4 hours of walking. It is so beautiful and it is really nice to walk and hold kids hands and pray over them while I walk. I climbed up a little bit of the waterfall and climbed some of the rocks with the kids (MOM I was safe...I opted not to jump off rocks into the fall :) We had some quiet time at the falls to read and pray but it was kinda hard with 5 or 6 kids leaning over you and sitting on you :) My favorite part of the day so far was on the way back I was holding the hands of 2 girls and I sang christian songs to them and then they would sing to me. 

It is so great to be back in HAiti I so wish I could stay all summer, they were trying to convince me but there is no way, but I am soooooooo excited for the month God has blessed me with to be Here. 

Thank you for all your prayers :) I can feel them!

I took lots of pictures at the waterfall hopefully soon I will post them.

every few days pictures will be posted on the mission website under the date the website is www.nwhcm.org if you want to check it out. 

2 comments:

  1. Look like you had a good day at the waterfalls today and had a good trip yesterday.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I am so happy you are there safe and sound, I am so excited for you and so glad that I get to read about your adventures everyday. I wish i was there! Love you girl!

    Em

    ReplyDelete