Friday, June 5, 2009

overwhelmed with Exitement

So yesterday and today has felt like a dream...In the morning yesterday we finished up our training and I worked on finishing up my file folder games on every break and relamenating some of the stuff because I cut them too close and in the humidity they started curling. 

In the afternoon courtney and I began planning a detailed schedule that the Miriam Center will be run off of. It detailed enough that at any time during the day someone could walk in and know what they can do. It is going to be very organized with all the enormous amount of educational toys, craft supplies and therapy supplies :) will be organized in sections so that they can look at the schedule see FM skills is on for 10:00 am they can go to the closet and there will be a binder with all the FM activities and they can just pick one and get the supplies. It is going to be awsome. So I was so excited about this...

Courtney and I then went to look at the property we are going to build the new Miriam center on to one side of the mission and was planning where to build it, where to put the playground...where are apartments were going to go :) just dreaming....Then we saw the wood crates they ship supplies in on the boat and she decided during here meeting with Janeil she was going ask if we could have one because we have so many ideas for it for the sensory/PT/OT room we are making. WE are going to put a different activity on every wall on the outside and on the inside put lights on the ceiling and paint the walls fun colors and put mirrors inside and put cushions on the floor. It is going to be sweet. 

Well, in celebration of finishing training we drove 30 min to get some ice cream...it tasted so good. I thought the day could not get any better...well, I was wrong

When I got back Courtney had been meeting with Janiel for 2 hours already talking about Miriam Center stuff. I jumped in on the conversation. I learned that the Miriam center is not longer in debt and there is no way it is going to be closed. In fact there is a organization that is willing to match up to 50,000 dollars which a church already said they would donate. so instead of building the new building we may wait and Janeil the executive director wants to build a million dollar facility it will probably be its on mission a break off of this one that is a huge orphanage for disabled children. The only one in Haiti and would hold up to 100 kids. The exciting thing is the new program For Jonathans Sake which the parents bring the kids in and get 2 meals a day and therapy and educational play and learn to take care of there kids. This is sooooooooooo exciting because at the new facility we would still have this new program so actually this facility would probably help 200 kids. This is a big dream that is totally possible. We are starting to look for property to build starting today. 

We will no longer build the building we were planning on building. we are moving starting today into the old birthing center which triples our space. WE went down last night with Janeil and looked at the structure of the building. We planned out what wall we will knock out and where the halls will be, ect. IT was sooooooo exciting. Usually around the mission it takes a while to get a project started but Janeil is so excited with us about this me and courtney are going to pick out paint today and we have a group coming in today which hopefully some of them will want to do construction and we could start as soon as tomorrow. This new building triples the space we have to work with. It is going to have a therapy/SI room, feeding room with special seating, a play/education room, we have a pool to put up and 2 sleeping room. The goal is to make these kids as independent as possible and so we got them new big kid beds so they are not in cribs, we are planning to give them each a cube of drawers for there own stuff, set up routines.....ahhhhhh I am soooooo excited. 

The goal they have for me is to set up the schedule, get the therapy room/SI room done and we want to organize all the toys and supplies that came in because on the next boat we have a lot of big therapy supplies coming in like a huge foam playground with slide and all, a foam cylinder, all the handicap feeding chairs and tables, ect. I am sad I will not be here to get everything set up because that is my nook :( but placement calls....if I could change it don't think I have not thought about it...lol...

so my first night here for devotions someone read from the book "The Dream Giver" it spoke to me and I asked to borrow it and read it. The book starts out with a parable about a Nobody named Ordinary who lived in the Land of Familiar and a Dream that the Dream Giver (God) gave him. so the following is a quote from the book that really sums up how I feel.

"ordinary's longing for his Big Dream grew and grew until finally he realized that he'd never be happy unless he could pursue it. Why didn't the Dream Giver make it possible? If the Dream Giver didn't, how could ordinary ever leave familiar. He had payments and expenses. He had regular duties. A lot of Nobodies counted on him for a of things. Ordinary felt completely stuck."

so please pray for me as I have so much going through my mind...God has given me a dream for Haiti and I want to pursue it but how is the question...

No comments:

Post a Comment