Sunday, June 28, 2009

My Last Day

So it all started on Thursday. I woke up at 6AM knowing it was my last day there and I wanted to make the most of it. And what a busy day it was finished typing up some evaluations, helped the kids put another layer on the piñata so it would have time to dry before the afternoon, went to the Gran Moon Carnival, prepared for a meeting with my workers in the Miriam center, helped feed the kids, went over to the roof of the church to get some pictures, and filled the piñata for the party… That afternoon at like 3:30 while Courtney and I were with all the Miriam Center Workers having an educational meeting about the children. How to properly feed the kids, how to take care of Job, What to do when Belle acted out, ect. As soon as the meeting was over Danielle came up and informed me that a big group of us was going to have to ride the buses out tonight at 7PM because the little planes were not flying tomorrow morning. My heart dropped and I just wanted to start crying right there. Not only was my time cut short with me kids, I was not prepared to leave in 3 hours I still had Steven’s B-day party, paperwork to do, pictures to download for people, and goodbye’s to say PLUS 9 hour off roading bus trip through the night to Port-A-PrinceL not much fun especially when you have been sick all day… BUT I pulled myself back together and decided I was going to make the best of my last 4 hours at the mission. I made priorities first Steven’s Birthday Party, I wanted to be part of it and it turned out to be a huge success. I will blog later on this week about Steven’s Party and some other specific events I did not get a chance to blog about while I was in Haiti.
I fed Job for the last time and then carried him upstairs to hold him while I ate dinner (well, I did not eat dinner because it was something I didn’t like), I finished packing and then sent a quick email home and posted a quick blog letting you all know I was leaving early. I then went back downstairs to take a few pictures and say goodbye to the kids and then came back upstairs to pack. We ended up leaving the mission closer to 6 which was probably better because it gave me less time to say goodbye and cry.
I said a lot of goodbye’s and shed a lot of tears as I made my way to the buses. I was showered with love by my mission family and going away gifts. Miriam and Courtney stocked me up with snackfood (which came in Handy on the long trip)and the kids made me the most amazing pictures. When I finally got to the bus I realized I forgot my journal and had to run upstairs and grab it. It was funny because all month I was constantly losing something and looking for it. In fact one of my going away gifts from Miriam was her shoes since I lost mine 5 days before and I did not think they would let me through the airport with no shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment